So Virginia is proposing to enact its own regulations on the take of migratory birds

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
The wind mill farms are fine though.....I notice they are specifically NOT mentioned as examples in the article.

What a bunch of garbage. A single cell tower isn’t going to get many birds, but a miles long “fence” of 200 foot towers with 70 foot spinning blades sure might. And they wonder why we don’t trust government “experts”.

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Windmill farms are bird grinders. If you are a hunter, conservationist, and wildlife supporter you need to really take a hard look at the issues concerning these projects. I say kudos for Virginia. I wish NC was a little more supportive in protecting and managing our natural resources.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Talk to the guys out west about the govt. They have bald eagles setting on fence posts like vultures waiting on cows to calve and then feed on them while they’re still alive, get help from USFWS Nope. But they have dozens of windmill farms out there and they have spent thousands trying to figure out how to keep them from grinding up those tuxedo buzzards.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Talk to the guys out west about the govt. They have bald eagles setting on fence posts like vultures waiting on cows to calve and then feed on them while they’re still alive, get help from USFWS Nope. But they have dozens of windmill farms out there and they have spent thousands trying to figure out how to keep them from grinding up those tuxedo buzzards.
Speaking of buzzards.... on our place in Va, we have more issues with black vultures doing just what you describe than every other varmint put together. Can’t do nothing about those nasty things either. They fall in the same category as the bald eagles.

It’s a damn shame you can’t lay waste to those misbegotten sons of b****es.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
what's always interested me is that countries have different species that are protected because of the Migratory Bird Treaty

The treaty it's self does NOT protect vultures, hawks, and owls,,, and thus in Canada (and now other signatories) they are NOT protected by the Treaty Act (though they are covered by other laws)

in the USA, we protect them under the treaty

one day (maybe) I see permits made available,, kind of like swan,, where you can hunt one

or not

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
You can get depredation permits for protected species, it’s just incredibly difficult. USFWS doesn’t issue them freely, but if you jump through all the hoops you can get one.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Speaking of buzzards.... on our place in Va, we have more issues with black vultures doing just what you describe than every other varmint put together. Can’t do nothing about those nasty things either. They fall in the same category as the bald eagles.

Contact USDA-APHIS-Wildlife Services up there. They can probably hook you up with an effigy to hang up where you’re having the problem.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Until the feds outlawed it in the 1970s it was legal to shoot great horned owls and bird hawks in NC

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Contact USDA-APHIS-Wildlife Services up there. They can probably hook you up with an effigy to hang up where you’re having the problem.
We have in the past. They sent us a pattern and instructions to build one from the University of Kentucky.

We built a couple of them, they weren’t really effective to begin with, and the became completely useless when several of the bastards attacked the effigies.

We’ve just had to become more vigilant, during calving season especially, and someone is almost constantly riding the pastures during daylight hours.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Yeah, they had trouble with vultures here when they had a couple dairies right here close to the house. Nope they isn't anything that legally can be done about them but there are things that CAN be done about them or so that is what I heard through the grapevine. LOL

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, they had trouble with vultures here when they had a couple dairies right here close to the house. Nope they isn't anything that legally can be done about them but there are things that CAN be done about them or so that is what I heard through the grapevine. LOL
Oh there are things that can be done but they’re kind of like spreading used motor oil on a gravel driveway to keep the dust down.... frowned upon

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
We have in the past. They sent us a pattern and instructions to build one from the University of Kentucky.

We built a couple of them, they weren’t really effective to begin with, and the became completely useless when several of the bastards attacked the effigies.

We’ve just had to become more vigilant, during calving season especially, and someone is almost constantly riding the pastures during daylight hours.

I’d call them back and request an actual taxidermy effigy. You’ll probably have to pay for it, but it works better.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’d call them back and request an actual taxidermy effigy. You’ll probably have to pay for it, but it works better.
I’m honestly past the point of using an effigy.
The problem I have with the effigies is a cow will have her calf wherever she pleases, and not necessarily where the effigy will be effective( what little effect they might actually have).

They’re somewhat effective on keeping them from roosting somewhere. I don’t really have a roosting problem. I’ve got a landing in the middle of a pasture and ripping up a newborn calf problem.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The problem I have with the effigies is a cow will have her calf wherever she pleases, and not necessarily where the effigy will be effective( what little effect they might actually have).

They’re somewhat effective on keeping them from roosting somewhere. I don’t really have a roosting problem. I’ve got a landing in the middle of a pasture and ripping up a newborn calf problem.
Sometimes those dead calves create quite the fly problem....

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns

Fair enough. Just trying to help.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I really do appreciate it, I’m just kind of frustrated with the whole “black vulture issue”

I didn’t mean to sound unappreciative. I apologize if it came across that way.

No worries. It can get frustrating. You can apply to the USFWS for a depredation permit, but I wouldn’t hold your breath.