So my wife caught this musky...

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
A couple years ago my wife Julie decided to set a personal objective to catch a musky, so that was added to her already crowded bucket list. Soon thereafter she attended a PA estate auction for a man named John McDermott, who had been a respected local angler and excellent wood carver. Some of his fish carvings were sold that day, and she bought the Muskellunge pictured below. It was placed in the living room to serve not only as a decoration, but also a reminder of her new objective.

Next we acquired a dozen or so musky lures, which were hung on the wall and made a very nice display. A couple of them were briefly moved into a tackle box, but they took up too much space so were returned to the wall, where they remained high and dry.

For a while not much else happened toward completing the musky objective. Then in mid-September Julie treated her kids and grandkids to a long weekend on Raytown Lake, which is an impoundment of the Juniata River in PA. We had two lakefront cabins, and the grandkids kayak fished and went tubing behind Julie's boat. On Sunday the kids and grandkids had to leave to return to work and school, but Julie and I stayed another day to fish from her 16.5' Smoker Craft.

Raystown is a deep, clear water mountain lake. As far as gamefish go, it has all the usual suspects of southern lakes, plus rainbow trout, brown trout, lake trout, stripers up to 50 lbs., and native muskies. We were fishing in a no-wake cove called Coffee Run, and had caught one decent bass and several bream. As we worked along a rocky section of the bank, Julie spotted a long, slender fish between the boat and shore. She had three rods rigged, and one of them had a yellow Rooster Tail larger than the ones we typically use. There was no time or space to make a cast, so she dropped a few inches of line, stuck the rod tip into the water, and started a figure 8. She only got about 1/4 way through the figure 8 when the fish hit, and a few seconds later was in the boat. It was a 22" musky, see second picture below.

So now Julie's objective has been met, we have some musky lures for sale, and she is going to give the Muskellunge wood carving to the grandkids.

414309470.jpg

414309469.jpg

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
And now we know who the real fisherperson is in that family...... But you did catch a really nice bream. Nice work all around.

Sweet! Nice fish. Gotta love Reaching personal goals. And then back it up with a red from shore. You are a lucky man to have a girl that you can spend time in the outdoors with. I married a city girl. She does like bass fishing though. Cant get her in a tree stand for nothing.

Last edited:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looks like a tiger (hybrid) muskie
I'm pretty sure it isn't. Although tiger muskie are highly sought after by anglers, PA says there are no northern pike in those waters, which would be required for it to be a tiger. Plus it looked exactly like a true musky, not the rarer hybrid.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Raystown is stocked with both tiger muskie and purbred muskie.

Either way, nice fish.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Raystown and the Juanita are on my list to check out. More for the trout since I don’t have the patience for “ten thousand” casts or whatever the saying is.

The story is pretty cool regardless of type of fish. That it’s a musky is even better. Now to get the grandkids on them.