So how many you diehards have missed a opening day?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Just curious what kinda streaks y'all got. I haven't missed but one opening day in NC since 1997 and that was due to in Nebraska hunting that day

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m not as experienced as the true turkey men so I’m not a diehard yet, working on it .but with a Monday opener in WV I have missed it before.

Drives me absolutely crazy so now I take the first few days off even with crappy weather, I’m sweaty , shaky and not worth a darn at work if I’m working opening day of turkey season.

I’ve already got the butterflies in my stomach now for turkey season and have had dreams about spooking and missing gobblers lol (well nightmares )

Can’t wait for early spring scouting

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Sure would suck to have be at work on opening day especially if weather was right. Its unlike say deer season which is long and opening with different weapons and different sections of state. Turkey season is short and to me opening day has more anticipation to it than any other

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I don't ever get to hunt turkeys on opening day due to the fact that I work on Saturdays. I'm about as diehard as you can get but I'm not going to burn a personal day just to hunt on the opener when I know every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to be in the woods on opening day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I don't ever get to hunt turkeys on opening day due to the fact that I work on Saturdays. I'm about as diehard as you can get but I'm not going to burn a personal day just to hunt on the opener when I know every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to be in the woods on opening day.

I just figure that adds to the challenge like it needs to be more challenging right LOL. I think I've hunted public so much I have just got used to it every once in while do get area to myself but it sure is getting more popular year after year

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer

I just figure that adds to the challenge like it needs to be more challenging right LOL. I think I've hunted public so much I have just got used to it every once in while do get area to myself but it sure is getting more popular year after year
When I was in Florida the opening weekend was an absolute madhouse. One year during opening week I counted 10 different state tags on trucks, not to mention the local guys. It definitely added to the challenge. I have found that on even the most crowded public areas there are places where most others won't go. It also definitely helps to be able to hunt in the middle of the week.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
When I was in Florida the opening weekend was an absolute madhouse. One year during opening week I counted 10 different state tags on trucks, not to mention the local guys. It definitely added to the challenge. I have found that on even the most crowded public areas there are places where most others won't go. It also definitely helps to be able to hunt in the middle of the week.

Definitely lot people will only take day with their wknd off so I always make sure to be off some wkdys tues thru Thursday is nice. One thing I think with all this computer stuff now people can look at maps and hit places they wouldn't have found years ago I've had some sweet spots all to myself untill recent years could just be increase in hunters as well and people trying to get away from each other or combo of both. I never minded pressure I can hunt it fine its people trying cut off birds that makes it unsafe and frustrating

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
Missed last year's opening day due to being at a soccer tournament with my daughter but I took off that Monday and killed one in the ridiculous wind. Missed another for a wedding several years ago.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
This year my youngest is spending the opening week in England with her soccer team. I had to really convince my wife that she should be the one to join her since I've been there before. No way am I missing the entire first week no matter how much fun England would be.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Missed last year's opening day due to being at a soccer tournament with my daughter but I took off that Monday and killed one in the ridiculous wind. Missed another for a wedding several years ago.
I remember that windy Monday well the mtns were roaring killed one in it to was absolutely shocked that bird gobbled as much as he did I usually don't have luck in high wind its my least favorite turkey hunting I'd take rain snow or anything else but high wind

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Really got into turkey hunting a few years back. Now addicted! So it's a yearly ritual to take opening day off from work if scheduled.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
for the season that's in NOW?...or did they do away with the January either sex season along the Va border?

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Years ago I’ve missed it due to crappie fishing BUT that’s before I became a die hard!

Last year I missed NC opener because I hunted the VA opener

Helium

Old Mossy Horns

Killed NC bird that Monday also! Hunting game lands and when I arrived the wind was so bad I literally sat in truck debating going back home BUT glad I didn’t... called 2 in that morning = 1 rode home with me.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Killed NC bird that Monday also! Hunting game lands and when I arrived the wind was so bad I literally sat in truck debating going back home BUT glad I didn’t... called 2 in that morning = 1 rode home with me.
I did same thing sat in truck at 0430 debating whether it was even safe. I started up mtn at one spot limbs were coming out of trees so went back to truck drove 35 minutes to lower elevation spot best decision I coulda made it pays to leave house early

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I have one on the way now and won’t have an issue missing turkey hunting for them, but anything else heck naw, rather be hunting

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I've missed opening day in NC a few times, because I've got more turkeys in GA and VA...

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Last year I had the week of South Carolina opener off. The opener fell on a Tuesday and plans were set to be there all week. My first and only grandbaby decided to throw a wrench in those plans. He was born on March 20th so I missed that opening day too,but I did get to hunt the rest of the week.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Going to miss youth opener this year. Have to take youngest daughter to Y-Guide’s spring outing that weekend. I’m bummed.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When my kids were little I never got to hunt opening day but still tagged out. Now I get to hunt opening day and hardly ever tag out.
Go figure .:geek:

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
The last Opening Day I missed was for a crappie tournament on Jordan in 1994. Turkeys were taunting me every place we'd stop to fish. We won the tournament and I caught big fish (2 lbs, 12oz.), plus I got a nice gobbler in Granville the next week. Win/win.

Jim

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Wife asked the other day what would I do if opening morning fell on our anniversary ............. It’s been really quiet around here for the past week, I wonder if those 2 things are related

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Wife asked the other day what would I do if opening morning fell on our anniversary ............. It’s been really quiet around here for the past week, I wonder if those 2 things are related

I wonder what your reply was.:)
I am not in good standing either.
Iowa draw has to be last season. last season has three weekends. landowner can only go on two of the three.
one is my daughter and grandson's birthday, the other is mother's day.:eek:
Thus my interest in your reply. I need a line.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns

I wonder what your reply was.:)
I am not in good standing either.
Iowa draw has to be last season. last season has three weekends. landowner can only go on two of the three.
one is my daughter and grandson's birthday, the other is mother's day.:eek:
Thus my interest in your reply. I need a line.

Lol old school if I know one thing it’s following my lead with women is a grave mistake.......