So how many of us would really survive?

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Lot of factors like been mentioned.

I personally think I’d do fine but wouldn’t want to be tested. If we prepared for such an event a lot more would be better than expected. But who wants to be a true preppy.

We rent a house in Iowa every year from the Amish For a month. There house is next door. So we spend right much time around them. The house we rent has no electricity at all. But it’s almost normal living. Learn a lot from them on basic life stuff.

MY biggest concern is my CPAP machine. Wished I never got on one. Can’t slip without it.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Without any warning at all like an overnight thing it would be hard for most people to fully prepare.

That's how I felt the other morning. Woke up at 6, and cell service was down as was fiber optic internet.

My thoughts, "Better take an extra mag... make that that a couple extra guns and mags.

Thought I's about to have a Patrick Swayze moment. Spoke with a couple neighbors on the way out, and everyone was having the same issue. Struck me as odd that cell towers and fiber optic would go out simultaneously.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I don't want to survive, as indicated by many of the previous threads on this forum with the same exact question going back years. Once my fork has become dull, once my toilet quits flushing, once my AC quits running, I'll take the victory knee formation

With a long term power outage its not heat or ac that will be the problem its no refridgeration. Ive gotten pretty good at smoking meats but I am gonna try and start canning some meat. Im pretty confident I could do a year but longer than that who knows. I have a good seed collection. It just got me thinking with the Pandemic and all how many people even prepare for and try and learn skills for such a senario. Most of the city folks I come across are pretty clueless on survival skills or preperation. I was telling this one city slicker that acorns are edible you just crush them into a powder and boil the powder to leach the tannis and make a paste and cook it. And how folks use to survive off acorns and he just look at me dazed and confused.

Last edited:

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
sanitation failure would have a massive impact on practically every river system on earth. every treatment plant will flow strait to the river.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
If I could get to my dads I think I could make it a while, 6 miles so it should be doable. My brother, sister and me would all move there and bring guns, ammo, canned food and other resource with us. Dad has garden big enough to feed all of us as well as a river and hand dug well for water. He has cows and plenty of wildlife to eat. His property is at the end of a long road in the country and is boarded by a river on the other. As long as we didnt turn on each other I think we could make it a while.

Yeah we have discussed this a time or two.

sanitation failure would have a massive impact on practically every river system on earth. every treatment plant will flow strait to the river.
This^^^, this is why I would not want to be on a river with a town(s) above me. better to be on a small creek that has minnows and chubs in it. everyone os gonna be near or on the bigger waterways too if they are not a massive sewage sludge.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
You’d be surprised what you can endure if forced to. I suspect the older ‘Fatter’ on here would old live most of us. I bet survival is tied to 10% preparation and 90% luck in immediate location and other factors when SHTF. I could survive a while in Johnston County hiding in a China buffet attached to a Gun Store/Pharmacy but much shorter in downtown chapel hill when someone can’t get their Venti Chai Skinny Tea. Some rural areas might be more animalistic actually. Unless your rural and hard access like a few of us who could literally walk off and not be found it’ll be hard to perservere, quality of life will be nearly 0. Make me single, 25, and in a remote area having never been spoiled in life, I’d do better. My wife has always said 3rd world countries would handle global meltdown better than anyone.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I can't be the only one that has sourced ways to get fresh water? Separate from the masses and large urban areas and let them kill each other off. Medical and medicine is difficult nut to Crack. In general the life expectancy would drop substantially. Living off the land be tough especially if you look at the numbers of people who'd be forced into it. Wildlife numbers will quickly drop so unless you are raising your own meat protein sources in the long haul will be non existing.
I think a year I could make it but if some order and normalcy hadn't been restored in that time frame I'm not sure I'd have the will to continue on that type of existence.
I’ve sourced water, there’s. massive gorge next to me with old forgotten villages miles upstream fed by springs. Might starve subsisting on those tiny native trout though once the clubs aren’t stocking giants.

Suspect rural PA is a lot like rural Maine except closer to cities for better or worse. The few times Ive been near my family origins in Caribou it’s never impressed me as starkly contrasted with rural PA other than the absence of city folk every made up holiday. I’ll preface all that by saying I’ve not been to actual Caribou, just rural Maine within a few hours and spent 20 years in the Berkshires with half my dozen or so class mates living without power or water still. Think they maybe got cable run finally in a handful of places but maybe not.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
That'd be a dang miserable place to hole up about 9 months of the year. In the warmer months, if a snake didnt get ya, the bugs sure would.
Yeah. But you would have very little competition from what I've seen. . I've traveled quite a bit and if I wanted to disappear that would be a great location. . Same bugs were here when my folks landed but I sure appreciate the 95% deet. It would be hard but possible In certain rural areas.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

Live in the forest and along the wooded streams and get sick off the 'beaver fever' only

6mm250

Eight Pointer
In all honesty , more of my life is behind me than is in front of me even without a SHTF scenario.

Between age , physical limitations & health issues I don't expect I would last long , and probably would not want to.

Mike

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
In all honesty , more of my life is behind me than is in front of me even without a SHTF scenario.

Between age , physical limitations & health issues I don't expect I would last long , and probably would not want to.

Mike
for all you folks bowing out early of our mock apocalypse, please USE all your ammo 1st, we all know you have plenty 😂. Help with competition for resources....😁