So Close..

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Connors first morning in the turkey woods was a lesson in patience and decision making.. and oh how close we got.

Public land, scouting trips have yielded no gobbles but there was good sign and history on our side.. 3 generations leave the truck about 6 headed to a listening point middle of the block.. 15 min later the first one sounds off.. followed by another.. then another.. as we start to move into position, I get the feeling I am in Nebraska with all the birds.. all told there were at least 6, more likely 8.. we get set up and they are on 3 sides. Tree yelps and the woods explode all around us. Not sure I am not more excited than Connor.. not often in NC that I have ever heard anything like this..

birds start hitting the ground.. first one I see is in full strut.. 65 yards right in front of us. He has a running mate.. other birds still gobbling. I catch movement to the right and here comes big boy.. all three of us laid eyes on this bird. 11+" beard and HUGE.. he walks in to 20 yards but 90 degrees right.. Now I am a left hand shot and it would have been a chip shot but Connor shoots right and there is no way he could swing on that bird.. still and quiet.. maybe he will circle.. no such luck.. he did not find that hen that he had heard, turned and walked away.. kicking myself for the positioning I give them a another round.. couple of them gobble and the hen fires off.. not good she is between us and them so I cut at her trying to piss her off. I see her pitch out to about 100 yards but lose her there. Contemplating the next move and I see birds come over the hill headed our way.. hen followed by a big boy gobbler and a smaller tom.. she proceeds to run right at us. Connor has the gun up, hammer back and ready to go. At this point it was more like the deer rut than a turkey hunt that hen led the boys around at a dead run.. bobbing and weaving, ducking and turning but never slowing down.. they got to and inside 15 yards.. big boys head was as white as snow in the early morning bleeding to blue, he was beautiful.. I whispered for Connor to kill him when he stops twice.. he never did and Connor did not take an iffy shot. I was and am proud of him for that.. no other opportunities presented themselves.

As much fun as you can have with your cloths on w/o killing one. We did not spook any of them so we know exactly were to go on Monday...

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have only heard that many birds on a hunt in NC one other time. Music to my old ears. It was a beautiful morning to be in the turkey woods for sure.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Wow! People will hunt for many years plus and jot have aorming like that! Congrats on his patience Can't wait for Mondays post!

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
He may not have killed one but I guarantee he is hooked on turkey hunting for life now!!!

He's seeing how special it is when you do connect...

Only another turkey hunter could understand how you can have them that close and not kill them...

Congrats on a great morning..

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like it was a great hunt! One that he will never forget and it isn't all about the killing! Maybe next Saturday.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Sounds a lot like our day!! I had a blast with a friend and his 10year old son. Got lots of great video all day. I think we saw 20 birds five were longbeards, 6 jakes and the rest hens. The sad part is the poor boy missed two birds. I felt bad for him but both were a clean miss and we all had fun. I am going to put a video together for him when I get a chance.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We opted to avoid the flood Monday morning but headed back in to try them again this morning. Judging from all the water still in the area, I was glad we decided to stay high and dry yesterday.

Unfortunately, the rain must have given the gobblers lock jaw. Heard one way off shock gobble when an owl fired up and one faint gobble at who knows what in the opposite direction. Otherwise, their lips were sealed. We have one more morning to try them and hope they will be a bit more cooperative then.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like you had a big time! I've never experienced that many birds in NC. Connor will remember this one!