So anyone can just hunt Non posted land in NC

country

Ten Pointer
This entitlement mentality appears to have spread to hunting.

Bottomline is if you don't have permission to be on someone's land, do not go there...

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
Tell your friend my house isn't posted or painted purple. Bring his dumbass in and sit on my couch and he will get carried out in a coroner's bag ?
He doesn't intend to hunt on any land that he doesn't have permission to hunt on. Just started a conversation today about people that had hunted on his family land one time in the past that wasn't posted or marked and didn't have any gates up etc... I was like you can't do that, its against the law, he then showed me the statute that said what wncdeerhunter said above.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
You won't find a "No Trespassing" sign on my wife's ass, but you trespass and we'll see how that works out for you.... And it won't be well.....

Dems always want to pass "common sense" gun control, maybe we need "common sense" trespassing laws. If YOU don't own it, keep your azz off it!!

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
Based on the way the 2nd degree trespassing law is written the person has to have been notified in some shape or form to not be there.

Common isn’t so common anymore so if you don’t want someone on a piece of property post it. That way you can take out a criminal summons for 2nd degree trespassing.

In much of this state if it’s not posted you can just make them leave and then if they return you can have them charged. The signage should be conspicuous as well.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
That ain't nothing, guy i work with constantly has issues with trespassing, he say's No Trespassing sign's mean....Good Hunting!
word has it he went to SC gamelands and put out cameras and when he found the deer he put up No Trespassing signs ON GAMELAND.....top that!

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
This entitlement mentality appears to have spread to hunting.

Bottomline is if you don't have permission to be on someone's land, do not go there...
What do you think of the recent "The Hunting Public" episode where they shoot a buck on private land in North dakota thats not posted? State law allowed them to do that.

country

Ten Pointer
What do you think of the recent "The Hunting Public" episode where they shoot a buck on private land in North dakota thats not posted? State law allowed them to do that.
Shame some folks needs laws to tell them to do what is right. Sounds like a bunch of jacklags to me.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not exactly. We don’t have laws that state what is legal, we have laws stating what is illegal.

If there are no signs, fence, or someone has not otherwise been told not to be there - the trespass hasn’t occurred. Once told or posted, that’s different .

Big difference in what’s right vs what’s legal (or illegal)

True enough, and I concede the point.

It's just sad that we even have to have this "discussion" periodically. Landowners rights used to be respected, and wanton disrespect of landowners by rogue hunters is the primary reason that private land is posted today......

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Shame some folks needs laws to tell them to do what is right. Sounds like a bunch of jacklags to me.
Whatever you say. But they posted a YouTube video and specifically state that they are going after a buck on private land that is not posted and state law allows them to do that.

50 years ago you could most likely do that in almost any state.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Whatever you say. But they posted a YouTube video and specifically state that they are going after a buck on private land that is not posted and state law allows them to do that.

And anyone that keeps up with out of state hunting knows that is a common thing in ND and the law was written at the request of landowners years ago. There was a push to change it this year by a lobby group created by some landowners and it was shouted down by hunters and landowners out there that like the law and tradition they have.

country

Ten Pointer

So do you feel it is okay to hunt on another's land without permission?

country

Ten Pointer
When I was younger you didn't need written permission to hunt another's land. Verbal was sufficient. As hunting and trespassing grew in popularity, you had to get written permission. It was a nuisance but it simplified law enforcement.

Always some people trying to find some loophole and take advantage of the system.

Comes back to poor raising and lack of morals/ethics...

Reactions: DRS

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
When I was younger you didn't need written permission to hunt another's land. Verbal was sufficient. As hunting and trespassing grew in popularity, you had to get written permission. It was a nuisance but it simplified law enforcement.

Always some people trying to find some loophole and take advantage of the system.

Comes back to poor raising and lack of morals/ethics...
In regards to ND, it’s accepted practice there, tradition and landowners that don’t want anyone on their land post it. So say I have bad raising and lack of ethics (which varies culturally and ND has a different set of hunting ethics in regards to unposted land than here), but if in ND I’m hunting unposted private land if the need arises to to make a move on a deer and I have no issues worrying about if I’m being legal or ethical. Because even though you think that’s unethical, majority of their state is gonna think baiting or running dogs is unethical.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
I guarantee if you are in a county that has a written permission to hunt on private land law GW has the authority to write you a ticket. Posted or not. Some counties specify weapon kind....example:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190912-200830_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190912-200830_Chrome.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

country

Ten Pointer
For the trespassers out there - do you think it is okay to file lawsuit against the landowner if you are injured on their property while tresspassing???

Last edited:

nontypical

Ten Pointer
That’s why I loved living in Alaska those few years. As long as you were outside what few city limits there was, and you weren’t on any native land,, you could hunt anywhere you wanted. The state owned pretty much everything else.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Sounds to me like you haven't watched any of their vids and are talking outta your butt. :) Those boys go to the extreme to do things the right way, the legal way, and the ethical way. Heck...they called the farmer who owned the property where they killed the deer and offered to reimburse him for damage to the canola crop they caused by dragging out the deer.

country

Ten Pointer
Sounds to me like you haven't watched any of their vids and are talking outta your butt. :) Those boys go to the extreme to do things the right way, the legal way, and the ethical way. Heck...they called the farmer who owned the property where they killed the deer and offered to reimburse him for damage to the canola crop they caused by dragging out the deer.
You are right I haven't watched any of their videos.

As a landowner I respect other landowners and do not go on their property or hunt on their land without permission regardless of what the law allows.

Guess I was raised differently.

country

Ten Pointer
To me going on someone's land without permission is no different than going in someone's house without permission. Property is property. Guess I am old fashioned that way and out of touch with this newer generation.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You are right I haven't watched any of their videos.

As a landowner I respect other landowners and do not go on their property or hunt on their land without permission regardless of what the law allows.

Guess I was raised differently.

Probably not substantially so. You just don't live in North Dakota and don't follow the customs of that area.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Probably not substantially so. You just don't live in North Dakota and don't follow the customs of that area.
You are correct. In fact here 50 years ago a posted sign was almost unheard of and quite frankly looked at with disdain. But everyone knew everyone in the whole community and hunting was granted usually at will. Occasionally you would get "don't shoot my birds". It all went to hell as deer spread.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
It is really not wise to be standing right where I was getting ready to shoot. You can size up the amount of resistance needed with a good 4x12 scope. Maybe just a good thrashing would work. Each encounter needs to be evaluated before you start the discussion. My question would be, what or who gave you the right to be on my land?

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
Sad to say, but most people today have never had a class in Common Sense. That is the class where there are no erasers .

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Some on here will understand this, most will not. My cure for trespassers is the time honored "Malaysian man killer" minus the spikes. ?? And believe me, word gets out!