Snow Goose Hunt in Missouri

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
dc2757c4ddfd4a77ab63259e2c26c444.jpg

Last week we went snow goose hunting in South East Missouri. Weather messed us up a bit but overall good hunt. We didn't get the number of birds we hoped for but it was fun and seeing a different part of the country. We hunted rice fields 3 day hunt first day was a bit warm but we did ok. Day 2 we got rained out never got in the field that day. Day 3 the birds seemed to be gone must of moved with the front. I got to witness two different dogs trained by Billy of Avery Creek retrieve cripples that were a half a mile away..... No joke ....it was impressive. The wind was wicked and when the cripples caught it they glided forever. I ended up with 16 birds for the table and one for the taxidermist.

dea4659be761b9f6408e11115ef2088e.jpg

76dceca927e16ff57b7f4a5376fd6f5b.jpg

178d730232b3c65ae91629d6c6ead00a.jpg

958f74d0f1a9b9fd3800accc63f42d76.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
Looks like a great time. Used to hunt at least once, sometime more, every year because I had a buddy that ran a guide service.

As you mentioned, the hunting was fun, but what we went for was the dog work. Great fun to send your dog on a 1/4 mile blind, although honestly white geese in wet fields make a pretty easy training mark.

8DuckCaller

Button Buck
Billy is a wonderful trainer. He has my BLF (Gigi) at his training grounds. With his training he has titled her HR and is only 3 passes away from her HRCH title. I have owned retrievers since 1979 and have never been without at least one. I'm retired now and have the freedom to visit Billy at his kennel and watch the training of all his dogs. He has an ability to read each dog. But, the most interesting thing I have noticed about him is how he can adjust his training of individual dogs to address problems. He is creative in solving issues. The thing is, he is not looking for a quick fix, but a permanent solution to the problem. I've seen dogs, young and old, come into his training program now for over a year. Sometimes it may be 10 days or so before I go up to watch him train. The progression some dogs have made in that short time is really amazing. Dog training is a calling and Billy has answered that call.