Snakes??

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
rattle snakes do it to let you know they mean business. they have rattles in their tail.
black snakes shake their tails against brush to imitate that sound.
i have heard it also. how would they know what a rattle snake sounds like?

Witnessed the "rattle" non venomous do a number of times. Caught many many snakes, too. Also educated quite a few folks over the years. Wife is not as fearful and can usually identify some of our common snakes.

Last edited:

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Close call for me was 2 years ago,almost dark one evening I tried to brush some brown leaves off a bale of straw with my hand and as soon as my hand hit it I knew it was a copper head. If I would have grabbed instead of brushed at it I would have surely been bitten

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I had a rattler in the backyard several years back that had lost the end of it's tail (mower maybe?) He was doing his best to rattle but all he could do was shake his little nub.

Only close call I have had was while climbing near Annapolis Rock in Maryland a couple years ago. Near the top one of the crevices I went to stick my hand in hand this little guy waiting. Gave me a hell of a scare.

Attachments

• 4BB124B1-58FD-4509-B6CF-E0EE542AF400.jpeg
    4BB124B1-58FD-4509-B6CF-E0EE542AF400.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 130

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Only close call I have had was while climbing near Annapolis Rock in Maryland a couple years ago. Near the top one of the crevices I went to stick my hand in hand this little guy waiting. Gave me a hell of a scare.

guy I used to work with was flagging and GPSing a stream for permitting purposes one time. Said stream turned into a trickle up the side of the mountain. He was climbing up the rocks and grabbed a rock crevice/ledge and felt something squish under his hands. Got in a better position to see and it was a rattler. Luckily it was 48° that morning and the snake was very much lethargic.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Haha! I can relate. We've had that happen several times while climbing around the amphitheater in the Linville Gorge. The "Prow" and the "Daddy" are notorious for snakes on the route. 😄

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ran into this one Easter Sunday at falls. Dog took notice of it and when I went over it was rattling it’s tail in the dry leaves .
That’s black racer. We see a couple of snakes a week here at the house this time of year.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Oddly enough...my closest encounter with a venomous snake was in Minnesota of all places. Fly fishing in the southeastern part of the state. That part is bluff country near the Mississippi river. They have timber rattlers. I looked down and saw one bump into my thigh being pushed in the current. My buddy heard my strangled yelp and thought I fell in the water. No, just a rattlesnake, not something one thinks about in Minnesota.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We’ve saw 2 “serious” snakes out here in Kansas. One was within striking distance and never once “alerted”. The other was sounding off profusely and we weren’t even that close.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Been my experience that timbers, especially big ones like that, are usually pretty docile....
I agree… MOST of the time… but when they’re in foul mood, they’re worse than a grizzly with a sore tooth.

Years ago my Grandaddy and I walked up on one along a creek bank. Damn thing coiled up and struck before we were within 20 ft. Then proceeded to come towards us. Grandaddy emptied his little single action .22 WMR into that sumbitch. Still the most aggressive Canebrake I’ve ever ran across.

thandy

Ten Pointer
My daughter reached into a bird box the other day when she didnt see any eggs. Felt something then came and told me it was a black snake. They were going to catch so I thought I better go check before she did and it was a copper head.

A few weeks earlier we had a blacksnake in the workshop on a sticky trap. I peeled it off as easy as i could and chucked it out the door. Same daughter was rounding the corner to come in and it landed on here foot. She kicked it 15ft straight up in a tree...lol.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Several years ago I was working in the front yard. A realtor was showing the house next door. I heard blood curdling screams , look up and see the lady realtor, a man and a woman come running out. I walk over to see what's going on , they say there is a snake in the basement. I go in and find about a 3-1/2' black snake curled up on a window ledge. As they are watching from the stairs I pick it up and it wraps around my arm, to which they all go screaming out of the house again. I walk outside and they are asking what I'm going to do with it. I say it's just a black snake, they eat mice, etc and they are good to have around. I released it in the back yard at the woodline.