• Just a heads up for those of you who use Tapatalk to access NCH&F. I will be removing support for that app effective immediately. The reasons are many, but the primary one is that it allows spammers to post here without first being authorized to do so. This, coupled with their increasingly aggressive and invasive ads and pop ups, has caused us to remove them from the site entirely.

Snakes??

Rescue44

Twelve Pointer
rattle snakes do it to let you know they mean business. they have rattles in their tail.
black snakes shake their tails against brush to imitate that sound.
i have heard it also. how would they know what a rattle snake sounds like?
Witnessed the "rattle" non venomous do a number of times. Caught many many snakes, too. Also educated quite a few folks over the years. Wife is not as fearful and can usually identify some of our common snakes.

Last edited:

Hunterreed

Six Pointer
Close call for me was 2 years ago,almost dark one evening I tried to brush some brown leaves off a bale of straw with my hand and as soon as my hand hit it I knew it was a copper head. If I would have grabbed instead of brushed at it I would have surely been bitten

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I had a rattler in the backyard several years back that had lost the end of it's tail (mower maybe?) He was doing his best to rattle but all he could do was shake his little nub.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Only close call I have had was while climbing near Annapolis Rock in Maryland a couple years ago. Near the top one of the crevices I went to stick my hand in hand this little guy waiting. Gave me a hell of a scare.
guy I used to work with was flagging and GPSing a stream for permitting purposes one time. Said stream turned into a trickle up the side of the mountain. He was climbing up the rocks and grabbed a rock crevice/ledge and felt something squish under his hands. Got in a better position to see and it was a rattler. Luckily it was 48° that morning and the snake was very much lethargic.

T-Rock

Ten Pointer
Only close call I have had was while climbing near Annapolis Rock in Maryland a couple years ago. Near the top one of the crevices I went to stick my hand in hand this little guy waiting. Gave me a hell of a scare.
Haha! I can relate. We've had that happen several times while climbing around the amphitheater in the Linville Gorge. The "Prow" and the "Daddy" are notorious for snakes on the route. đŸ˜„

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ran into this one Easter Sunday at falls. Dog took notice of it and when I went over it was rattling it’s tail in the dry leaves .
That’s black racer. We see a couple of snakes a week here at the house this time of year.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Oddly enough...my closest encounter with a venomous snake was in Minnesota of all places. Fly fishing in the southeastern part of the state. That part is bluff country near the Mississippi river. They have timber rattlers. I looked down and saw one bump into my thigh being pushed in the current. My buddy heard my strangled yelp and thought I fell in the water. No, just a rattlesnake, not something one thinks about in Minnesota.