Snakes??

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Personally snakes are just another part of being outside but.. My girlfriend got tagged on the ankle last summer by a copperhead when we were walking the dog. For a girl who’s not a snake fan she took it like a champ. We had our doctor neighbor come over and take a look at it. Never went to the hospital and now is requesting I get her a skin of one. Ironically for the past couple months she’s be working with a company to launch an anti venom for copperheads at work.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I would rather hear a good tick or chigger story. :ROFLMAO:

Or Yellow Jackets! :eek: They kill people every year.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Wife and I used to fish Jacob's Fork in the South Mountain State Park regularly.
Some of our honey holes required a little "Bush Whacking" to get down to the river. One particular trip, while "Bush Whacking" down to a productive hole my wife got tired of her rod getting caught on all the dense vegetation. So..., she yelled out, "catch my rod." So she slung it in my direction. I walked back up the hill (~25 yards) and proceeded to retrieve her rod she had just thrown to me. About SHAT my pants reaching down to pick up her rod. She threw her rod to me and when I reached down to pick it up I saw this and it totally appeared out of nowhere.
I would've done "Michael Jordon proud because I jumped nearly 15 feet in the air. Lol20210424_102303.png

Last edited:

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I used to catch large black snakes and bring them home whenever I ran across them usually crossing the roads. I would just throw them in the truck and keep going to the jobsite and at the end of the day try to find them and get them out usually up under the seats or in the shelves of the work vans I drove. If you spray them with cold water or put a bag of ice on them they become easy to handle though I have been bitten a few times. I quit doing it because the larger ones ate more of my eggs than the smaller snakes but I had two really big ones around for years that had scars all over them from catching rats. The last one I had around here I hauled it off to the creek after it was caught in the nest boxes full of eggs. It measured 76 inches

Attachments

• 20190607_203843.jpg
    20190607_203843.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 116

todobien

Eight Pointer
Personally snakes are just another part of being outside but.. My girlfriend got tagged on the ankle last summer by a copperhead when we were walking the dog. For a girl who’s not a snake fan she took it like a champ. We had our doctor neighbor come over and take a look at it. Never went to the hospital and now is requesting I get her a skin of one. Ironically for the past couple months she’s be working with a company to launch an anti venom for copperheads at work.
My wife has been mailed twice. O
Our wives can compare stories sometime. R has been nailed twice. A dry bite in Hathaway and injected here in our driveway stepping out of the car.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Almost stepped on a cotton mouth a few weeks ago. Saw a beautiful little King snake in the back yard this week.

Attachments

• cotton mouth.jpg
    cotton mouth.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 136

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
7:30-8:00 at night, Cowboy and Bandit going off sump'n fierce out by the fence. Grabbed a spotlight and a rake and went to them in the pen. By then Bandit had run it under the doghouse. He wasn't happy when I pulled him out with the rake but he didn't stay mad long. Biggest I've ever seen, almost stretched clear across my tailgate. He looks more friendly tacked onto a board and poly'd....
Minus the head and part of the tail the hide is still three feet long.....
ch2.jpgch.jpg

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Almost stepped on one today....it left fast. Looked like a solid gray color. Didn’t seem shiny enough for a black snake. Didn’t notice any patterns or giveaways.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Ran into this one Easter Sunday at falls. Dog took notice of it and when I went over it was rattling it’s tail in the dry leaves .

Attachments

• 0EE5F7ED-CC73-43F6-8A79-B70495629EC5.jpeg
    0EE5F7ED-CC73-43F6-8A79-B70495629EC5.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 40

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ran into this one Easter Sunday at falls. Dog took notice of it and when I went over it was rattling it’s tail in the dry leaves .

I saw a blacksnake doing that once..........had to look twice to make sure it didn't have rattles!! 😵

I found out that it was fear that causes this..........so I guess rattlesnakes have the same fear?? 🤷‍♂️

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Snakes have never bothered me in the least. My granddaughter is following in my footsteps. We have had to make sure that she understands that she can't pick any snakes up until one of us looks at it first. This was today. A young corn snake about ready to shed its skin. She's literally not afraid of anything.....20210429_110324.jpg

willb

Eight Pointer
rattle snakes do it to let you know they mean business. they have rattles in their tail.
black snakes shake their tails against brush to imitate that sound.
i have heard it also. how would they know what a rattle snake sounds like?