Snake Sightings?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Had a pissed off on run me up on a truck hood, when I wanted to have it move so I could get a better look. I saw multiple identifiers that assured my ID. When left alone I haven't had one bother me. I try to keep it that way. I have seen them so dark, almost black, you could barely make out a pattern.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sir.
I have read over and over where you vehemently stated the snake in the picture was a Northern Water Snake. Northern Water Snakes are non-venomous, therefore have no fangs. There's fangs in the mouth of that chopped off head.
No you haven't, because I never said that. If I did as you say, then tell me the number of that post. I'll be waiting to hear back from you.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Look how much stockier he looks defensively.
Looks the same to me, except that picture was taken closer. Thanks for posting. I guess you and I are the only two on this thread who have taken pictures of live cottonmouths.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You are wrong in another way.. It was not a he. It was a SHE. You are too focused/adamant
on a thick body to listen to anybody else's opinion. Even those that may be considered experts.
You are obviously more into pronouns than I am. And again, did he./she/it say why the snake he/she/it did not have a typical body?

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Let’s review -

Reasons this is a Venomous Cottonmouth:

- the snake has a black eye mask that cottonmouths have
- it has the pixelated cottonmouth pattern/markings (identical to other cottonmouth pictures posted here)
- it has the eye hoods obscuring the eyes when viewed from above (indicates venomous snake
- it has fangs (venomous)
- it’s not a rattler, coral or copperhead
- no one objecting can tell us what kind of snake it is other than “I know it ain’t a cottonmouth”
- 2 different snake ID group admins have confirmed it’s a cottonmouth
- it was well in the cottonmouth known range
- no labial bars on the mouth (like water snakes have)

Reasons it isn’t a cottonmouth:

- Ain’t fat enough
- I’m the only person that’s been in a swamp 😁

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
So I did add you don't think it's thick enough. No comment. Guess that part wasn't important enough for HER to mention.