Snake Sightings?

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve rescued several healthy black rate snakes off the road here in the last few days. I ain’t afraid to halt traffic to grab one.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Saw the largest copperhead I have ever seen while on the golf course the other day. Sucker was so big I had to double take to make sure it wasn’t a rattlesnake. Probably pushing 4 ft long and bigger than my forearm!! Didn’t have my phone so couldn’t get pics.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Saw the largest copperhead I have ever seen while on the golf course the other day. Sucker was so big I had to double take to make sure it wasn’t a rattlesnake. Probably pushing 4 ft long and bigger than my forearm!! Didn’t have my phone so couldn’t get pics.
I think the largest one ever recorded in NC is about 43". So, they do grow big here.

My FIL killed one that was 41-1/2" several years back.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I think the largest one ever recorded in NC is about 43". So, they do grow big here.

My FIL killed one that was 41-1/2" several years back.
Yea this one was a big one. I’ve seen a ton in the 18-30” range over the years but this one was a monster!!! It was chilling right by the cart path. I was out for a jog and spotted it about 20 yds before I got to it. Im glad I saw it. We’ve actually had two people in my neighborhood who have been bitten by copperheads this year. One is friend and colleague of mine. She got bit while taking her trash to the road. She ended spending 4 days in the hospital.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Had 3 these little fellas keeping me company today trout fishing this one ended up striking my shoe as I was playing round with him

Attachments

• IMG_20230610_132343.jpg
    IMG_20230610_132343.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 49

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It was pretty neat place especially for my 3 year old. He loves rocks and kids leave toys and trinkets there. I thought it was some kind of grave yard as I was driving past it when my parents lived in Virginia.

TH7

Eight Pointer
These fellas are hard to get a picture of without them zooming off. That's been the case with most snakes I've seen lately. Saw a copperhead less than 100 yards after this one.

Attachments

• 20230702_094018.jpg
    20230702_094018.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 66

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We were checking sewer outfalls last year. My partner and I had to go check a large manhole thats about 6’ high and has a flat top. As we areived there were 4 bug water snakes on the top. As we got closer on the gator, the grass started moving everywhere it seemed. I dont know if it was breeding season or just a water snake convention, but they were in there thick that day. Very skittish.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Wife was out walking Frankenstein (she calls him Frankie, but I call him Frankenstein cause of his sometimes attitude) and we were on the phone discussing something,,,

when she yelled

I knew immediately it was a snake

asked her what kind and she just yelled "a d@#$ SNAKE!!"

good thing I was out with my mutts, or I'd a had to go relocate the poor fellow

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Yea this one was a big one. I’ve seen a ton in the 18-30” range over the years but this one was a monster!!! It was chilling right by the cart path. I was out for a jog and spotted it about 20 yds before I got to it. Im glad I saw it. We’ve actually had two people in my neighborhood who have been bitten by copperheads this year. One is friend and colleague of mine. She got bit while taking her trash to the road. She ended spending 4 days in the hospital.
This is the biggest one I've ever seen, I have no doubt he over 3ft and pushing 4ft.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527_213537_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527_213537_Photos.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 71