Snake ID, Please?

Paper

Wife found this little one in our driveway last night and freaked out, only course of action she would accept was me killing it. She thinks it was a baby copperhead, but I honestly do not know. Looked online at pictures but think it may have been a baby "black racer"? Anyone have any idea what this was?

534dq0.jpg

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Doesn't appear to be a CH since the "bands" are too narrow and the head looks oval. Check out the eyes......if they're round it's a peaceful snake. Slanted cat eyes means trouble!!:skeerd:

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Search Google images for juvenile black rat and you will see all the marking iterations possible. Harmless and good to have around to control the rodent population.

Last edited:

Paper

That's odd if it is a northern banded water snake as we do not like near any water at all. The images for a black rat snake look very similar to the picture as well....I hated to have to kill it, but the wife wouldn't accept any other solution.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hated to have to kill it, but the wife wouldn't accept any other solution.

Please mail your man card to:

I don't have a pair
Whipped avenue
Washington DC...

If you would have just picked him up she would have freaked out and left the area then you could do as you please with him.. :D

genbud78

Ten Pointer
+1 on a young black rat snake. Great mouse catchers. I had one that was about 5 and a half ft living in my basement last year. Never saw anymore mice once it showed up.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Juvenile black rat snake. The young copperheads will have a bright yellow green tail.

Paper

Thanks everyone. Appears it was nothing to panic over, my wife would disagree. She hates snakes....