Snake Boots

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Need some input fellas.. Need a new pair of boots,looking at buying snake boots with getting into public land & swampier areas of private. On a budget, Irish Setter Vaprtreks look nice, not sure I can swing the price- And their reliability seems mixed. Try to be a buy once,cry once guy but CFO doesn't always agree..lol

So buy leather boots & use my calf guards? or swing for legit snake boots?

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I bought the Lacrosse Rubber Snake boots 3 seasons ago. They’re not cheap but they wear good. Can’t vouch for fang resistance though ??

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have the muck armor boots with the cool lining. I like them but I’ve about destroyed them at work

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
I wear the redhead bayous and they are comfortable and cheap enough that I don’t mind replacing them every 3-5 years.

Reactions: DRS

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I wear the redhead bayous and they are comfortable and cheap enough that I don’t mind replacing them every 3-5 years.

I don't know how you guys are getting years out of them bayous. I was getting one year max with mine although I do spend 60+ days in the field a year. Bass Pro kept replacing them back when they stood behind their lifetime warranty so I was happy to keep using them. I wore the sole off one pair, had the heal cave in on one pair so it was wearing blisters, and had a couple pair that leaked from the get. After the 4th pair around 2017, they said their new policy was that the lifetime of a boot is only one year so they wouldn't replace them after a year. I switched to Irish Setter Vaprtrek Snake Boots after that and have had the same pair for going on three years now. They wear like tennis shoes although I liked how easy the red heads were to get on and off more.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't know how you guys are getting years out of them bayous. I was getting one year max with mine although I do spend 60+ days in the field a year. Bass Pro kept replacing them back when they stood behind their lifetime warranty so I was happy to keep using them. I wore the sole off one pair, had the heal cave in on one pair so it was wearing blisters, and had a couple pair that leaked from the get. After the 4th pair around 2017, they said their new policy was that the lifetime of a boot is only one year so they wouldn't replace them after a year. I switched to Irish Setter Vaprtrek Snake Boots after that and have had the same pair for going on three years now. They wear like tennis shoes although I liked how easy the red heads were to get on and off more.
I was pretty easy on mine. Just wore them 6-7 days a week following squirrel dogs through saw briers and everything imaginable. From Sept through about Nov and then back on again in early Feb and then through May to finish out turkey season. They didn't stay waterproof but a year or so but still didn't pour in. I would get 2-3 years out of a pair. For the price I loved and still do them.

The absolute worst investment I ever made in snake boots were also the most expensive ones I ever bought. I splurged about 15 years ago and bought a pair of Danner they hurt my feet and it wasn't size, it was just comfort. I suffered through two years and never enjoyed burning a pair of boots so much in my life.

Deerhuntr

Ten Pointer
I’m in the woods at least 14 days a month and I’m rough on boots. The only thing that happens to the bayou boots is the zipper fails and I just replace them. I’ve tried just about every brand boot and these are the most comfortable for me. I wear them all season long because it doesn’t get cold enough for insulated boots.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Any recommendations for lace up snake boots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Irish Setter Vaprtrek Snake Boots I mentioned above are lace up and are good snake boots. Been wearing them a few years without problems. They are a little pricier than some others offered but I wanted a pair with good reviews that were waterproof. I previously tried the field and stream laceup ones but the hooks were so large and so far to the sides that they would catch on each other. Its pretty embarrassing to be walking along and your boots attach to each other followed by a faceplant. I wish I could say this happened only once but it took me a few times to realize I wasnt the problem.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
I was pretty easy on mine. Just wore them 6-7 days a week following squirrel dogs through saw briers and everything imaginable. From Sept through about Nov and then back on again in early Feb and then through May to finish out turkey season. They didn't stay waterproof but a year or so but still didn't pour in. I would get 2-3 years out of a pair. For the price I loved and still do them.

The absolute worst investment I ever made in snake boots were also the most expensive ones I ever bought. I splurged about 15 years ago and bought a pair of Danner they hurt my feet and it wasn't size, it was just comfort. I suffered through two years and never enjoyed burning a pair of boots so much in my life.

I’m in the woods at least 14 days a month and I’m rough on boots. The only thing that happens to the bayou boots is the zipper fails and I just replace them. I’ve tried just about every brand boot and these are the most comfortable for me. I wear them all season long because it doesn’t get cold enough for insulated boots.

This was my first pair of Bayous after about a year. Maybe I got a bad pair. To their credit at the time, bass pro just had to scrape the mud away enough to find the red head logo and gave me a new pair off the shelf. If they still did that I would gladly still be wearing them.

1397246_10207872163305102_2801353729291016365_o.jpg

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I bought the Lacrosse Rubber Snake boots 3 seasons ago. They’re not cheap but they wear good. Can’t vouch for fang resistance though ??

I have a pair of these also. I was working on the farm one day wearing them when i was moving some busted straw bales with a pitchfork. Somehow ended up kicking the pitchfork at some point on accident. Fork came thru the rubber foot part of the boot, side of the ankle, but didn't break the skin. Not sure how that old steel fork compares to a copperhead or rattler fang, but my foot had a good bit of force/momentum behind it when i kicked the fork. I'd like to think that a lunging snake wouldn't have that much force...be more like a "slap" vs a "kick", but the fang is probably sharper.

I patched the hole and still wear them. still feels safer than a 6" leather boot

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Been wearing LaCrosse Venom Scent for about three years now. They're a lace up with a side zipper. I spend a lot of time in the swamps and they stopped keeping one foot dry after the first year, the other's holding up well. They're mighty comfortable though...

mdunker

Ten Pointer
I have tried a few and the Irish Setter Vaprtreks that I have now are the best ones I have worn.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well as an FYI- had some down time today & stopped by Cabelas.. Apparently I have larger than average calves, or I am expecting too much out of side zip boots.. every pair of side zip boots will not zip . The redheads & lacrosse felt like the zipper would rip off if I tugged harder.

The Vaprtreks would work with longer laces, but apparently 11W is a popular size. [emoji2357]

Heads up for anyone interested- They do have a clearance on Justin snakeboots.. $149..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I grew up on the coast around every venomous snake in NC. I've never worn snake boots in my life. Just watch your step and you'll be fine.

TH7

Eight Pointer

I have what I guess is the model before these. They look a little different, and maybe that's why I got them on sale for I think 100 bucks from Cabelas (before bass bought them). Must of been updating the boot. One boot gets water in the heel and squishes around. Though that is annoyong, they are still keeping my feet dry. I like the way the lacrosse boots hold your foot. There is no slip like a lot of other boots. Had them 3 or 4 years.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Tried to put on the 4XAlpha, can't even get my foot into the boot the ankle is much too tight. Won't have to worry about the boot pulling off in mud!

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
I have a pair of Chippewa " Cutter" model # 23922 snake boots. They are just like a pair of Russell snake boots except they are not custom fitted and cost half the price of the Russell. They are a moccasin style with a zipper in the back that makes pulling them on and off very easy. I had a pair of Russell snake boots that I wore for 30 years and they were very good boots but I have to say the Chippewa boot has done very well for me so far. I use them mainly for dove and deer hunting and turkey hunting in the spring. Got to keep them oiled to keep your feet dry though so they may not be the best choice for walking in the swamp but for woods and upland fields they are great. Made in the USA too!

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I like my zip up Redhead Bayous. A pair will last me about 3 years. Never had the soles come off, but the insoles do usually go first. I just wear them for extra protection and the fact that they are comfortable.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I like my zip up Redhead Bayous. A pair will last me about 3 years. Never had the soles come off, but the insoles do usually go first. I just wear them for extra protection and the fact that they are comfortable.

I actually tried a pair, felt like an dumb@ss- so when I tried them on at cabelas, apparently I was bunching my jeans up at the zipper side.. it does make a difference. So got a pair, wore them Saturday & realized I did not like the lack of movement using my climbing stand.

Felt like I couldn’t tilt my feet, & one boot had stitching at the leather/cordura already coming loose by Saturday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I see that. I like the support in the clear cuts and jungles down east. I do mostly wear them running the hounds.