Snack stick recipe?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
The snack stick kits from cabelas do a pretty good job. I made 50lbs last season using 3 kits. I smoke mine which helps make it more like a slim Jim. I think my last batch had like 20% beef fat.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I use the LEM hot snack stick seasoning with 19mm smoked casings.

Use my dehydrator at 170 for 5 hours.

Gonna make about 80# this week.

JD1107

How do they turn out using the dehydrator?? I’ve been wanting to make some, but don’t have a smoker and wanted to give it a go with the dehydrator.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
How do they turn out using the dehydrator?? I’ve been wanting to make some, but don’t have a smoker and wanted to give it a go with the dehydrator.

Other than not having the smoky flavor, they taste just fine. The snack sticks are being dried at the same temperature either way. Personally, I set mine at 160F.

JD1107

Other than not having the smoky flavor, they taste just fine. The snack sticks are being dried at the same temperature either way. Personally, I set mine at 160F.

Thanks for the feedback. Usually I take my meat to Stancils here in Pitt County and get their snack sticks and summer sausage. Haven’t shot anything big enough to want to drop the $110 on processing fee so I’ve been doing everything on my own this year. Got some meat to grind up first then I’m gonna give it a go! Thanks again.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I have both a smoker and dehydrator.

I prefer the sticks from the dehydrator. It's just easier for me to manage now that I have a "system"

using 19mm casings, it takes about 4.5-5 hours for them to finish to 165.
I have one of the big LEM dehydrators with digital timer

Start a run in the AM before I go to work set on 5 hours. Come home at lunch (4.5 hrs of cooking) and check internal temp.
Pull all those and throw them into gallon ziplocks and directly into the fridge overnight. If you leave them out, they'll get way too dry.

Add another round on the dehydrator and head back to work. Pull those when I get home.

Added bonus with throwing them in the fridge is that it "releases" the collagen casings from the sticks.

I pull all of the casings off. I know they're "edible" but I think the sticks are much better without that added fibrous texture. Plus it doesn't "put people off" when trying them for the first time and seeing them chew that casing...
Maybe its just me, but that's how I do it.

Tip. Don't overload your dehydrator, and make sure none of the sticks are touching eachother. really increases cooking time and leads so super dry and grainy sticks.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
So could you add a little bit of liquid smoke in the mix if you were just going to put them in a dehydrator?

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Well just pulled my first run of snack sticks out of the dehydrator. Used a teriyaki kit from cabelas and have to say they are pretty good. Only did one pound of snack sticks and one pound of summer sausage. Both are outstanding. I did use the oven to get the snack sticks to above 152 then put them in the dehydrator for 5 hours. Like I said outstanding. I have 8 more pounds of mix in the fridge now , I’ll let it sit till I get home from work tomorrow and then I’ll finish them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk