Smoky Mountain Getaway

Crestliner

Six Pointer
Heading to the Smoky Mountains National Park for a 3 day get away this coming weekend.

I am looking for suggestion on fishing the park this time of year, which streams and lures/flies. Will be taking both spinning and fly rod.

Will be staying near Hartford, TN. Not looking to camping in the park

Thanks for any suggestions.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
If you starting in Hartford on the pigeon river. Take a castnet and get a couple dozen stonerollers. Freeline’em or Carolina rig’em with a 1/4-1/2oz barrel weight. Fish the pools at the ends of riffles and runs. Smallmouth will be what you catch mostly but don’t be surprised by largemouths, Walleye, channel cats and even citation size rock bass.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
im assuming you going to be going to catalochee valley if your staying in Hartford? if so Cove creek road that you go up once you get off the interstate has a stocked trout stream right by the road and fish it all the way through maggie valley. if you take the gravel road over the mountain into the park there is some good fishing along it in several places. terrestrials work well right now. remember any water in the park is single hook artificial only.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
What Logan said, and I’ll add I like an inchworm pattern late summer also. And if you’re fly fishing I’d stay in the park. Fishing will likely be better for wild fish than holdovers in most streams this time of year.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Damn if I’d be runnin around in the woods with a buggy whip chasing trout when you are a stones throw away from what is arguably one of the best smallmouth rivers in the nation. Lol
I reckon whatever floats your boat......I mean fly. ??

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
inchworm, black ant, black high vis beetle, and hooper are my go to mid to late summer flys. the fish in the park are agressive and if you have a good drift they will hit it. if you end up going to Cherokee into the park from that side the fishing in that area of the park i think is better than in Catalochee there are also bigger fish over there in the park.

rescue934

Twelve Pointer
I fished above smokemont a few weeks ago and caught a lot of trout on a Tennesse wolf and inch worm.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Man y’all are giving away too many good hints.... squirmy wormys are producing for me. I usually will drop them off of a dry fly of some sorts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk