Smoking fish

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I know, the hardest part about smoking fish is lighting the tail.

Having got that out of the way, I'd like to use some largemouth fillets, and serve them up like lox on a bagel (even though the original lox was just brined, not smoked).

Anyway, anyone ever smoked pond fish?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
(caveat with "this is just my dang opinion),,,

you can smoke any fish,,, pond or otherwise,,, but the best fish to smoke are the fattier ones,,, trouts, salmonoids, herring, mackerels, etc

for white fleshed fish I recommend LESS salt and LESS smoke as it will overpower white fleshed fishes

cause at the end of the day, smoking is just a flavored cooking method - so GO FOR IT (and invite me for taste test),,,,,,,

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you plan to smoke on and light the tail, I hope you have a big pipe.

People smoking all types of stuff now....

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
(caveat with "this is just my dang opinion),,,

you can smoke any fish,,, pond or otherwise,,, but the best fish to smoke are the fattier ones,,,

Probably why the ancient recipes typically went for belly meat, because it tended to be fattier, even on the lake fare. :unsure:

Knowledge is power. Helps with eating too...

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can spray it with olive oil and keep some of the moisture but it won't ever be as tender and moist as the oily fish. I've done whole bream and they were better than bass fillets as far as taste and texture.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
You can spray it with olive oil and keep some of the moisture but it won't ever be as tender and moist as the oily fish. I've done whole bream and they were better than bass fillets as far as taste and texture.
Well, we have some fat bream. Grandson #1 thought he was the master until grandma showed him who the pond queen is...

(and I had her long arm another pic for comparison, just in case anyone is thinking that's the case)

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 39
  • img2.jpg
    img2.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
I got apple and cherry.

What was your process?

Screenshot_20210601-173527~2.png

This probably would be too much brine unless you were smoking a lot of fish( 12- 14 lbs.). I would cut this brine recipe in half at least. Soak your fish in the brine about 4-6 hours or less for thin fillets in the fridge. Pull the fish out and rinse off with water and pat dry with paper towels. Put your fillets on your smoker racks and let them sit where air can circulate until you see glaze appear. Put your racks in the smoker at 190°- 200° Smoke with any fruit wood you like until the internal temp. hits 145° .

I put my fish on a plate and cover with cling wrap and let it rest then eat or refrigerate . I also feel more comfortable using fish I have frozen for a while to make sure I have no problem with parasites.
You can probably find many different brine recipes on the net.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I know, the hardest part about smoking fish is lighting the tail.

Having got that out of the way, I'd like to use some largemouth fillets, and serve them up like lox on a bagel (even though the original lox was just brined, not smoked).

Anyway, anyone ever smoked pond fish?
I’ve smoked freshwater fish but they’ve all been oilier types. Tulibees (a whitefish,) trout, salmon. I haven’t personally but I would smoke carp if I were to eat it, suckers, etc...

I guess I don’t see the black bass Family as an obvious candidate...kind of like smoking venison.

If you do do it, I’d try working the fish into a cake like a crab cake recipe, or a spread like you might put on a cracker or bagel.