Smokies bear attack

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Bears are going to do what bears do.

She’s very lucky. Black bears usually attack with intentions of eating you.

I’m really surprised this doesn’t happen more often. Increased human activity in the park, coupled with bears that have zero fear of humans because of lack of hunting.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Flatlanders are more tender!! Mountain folk are chewier!!
I have no doubt. :)

But as a flatlander who sleeps in a hammock in the Smokies from time to time, this story is interesting to me. Last September we had to rearrange the day we were going to Hazel because of a closure due to the man who was eaten there. Another campsite I've used on occasion farther up had an attack on a hammock-sleeper several years ago. Now this one...

I'm thinking the bears have developed a taste for flatlander burritos. Or they just need the fear put back in them.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have no doubt. :)

But as a flatlander who sleeps in a hammock in the Smokies from time to time, this story is interesting to me. Last September we had to rearrange the day we were going to Hazel because of a closure due to the man who was eaten there. Another campsite I've used on occasion farther up had an attack on a hammock-sleeper several years ago. Now this one...

I'm thinking the bears have developed a taste for flatlander burritos. Or they just need the fear put back in them.

Your post just planted an idea in my head! I wonder if the victims were standing near the campfire while supper was cooking?
Thereby smelling up their clothing.......... :unsure:

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Once a bear has lost its fear of humans you can expect encounters like this your playing in their backyard, you can do everything right and still end up with a bad situation like happened here.When playing in their yard you don't only have to worry about what you are doing but what the people that were there before you did. Leaving you play toys outside unprotected isn't the bears fault hell he doesn't know he's doing something wrong when he tears something up.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
High bear population + staggering numbers of stupid tourists who love to feed bears = bears that hurt people.
They need to go in that place and kill off about 2/3rds of the bear population.
You can’t control stupid people, but you can control the bear population.
I would prefer to go in and kill off about 2/3s of the stupid people. Seems like it would solve more issues in this country.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We rented an AirBnB cabin in the mountains near Sylva for four days last week. Even going out to the truck or walking the dogs I was carrying, not because of bears but because, well, I carry! The only time I wasn't heeled was in DollyWood and I wished I had been then....
During those four days I saw a pure whoppin' butt-load of stupid people...only saw one bear.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I have seen how well many of you "Mountain folk" hold up when you loose sight of land even on a calm day. You guys are not salty.
Can only speak for myself but your bout right I'm just fine never being on beach or around saltwater just never my thing

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We rented an AirBnB cabin in the mountains near Sylva for four days last week. Even going out to the truck or walking the dogs I was carrying, not because of bears but because, well, I carry! The only time I wasn't heeled was in DollyWood and I wished I had been then....
During those four days I saw a pure whoppin' butt-load of stupid people...only saw one bear.
How about tell the crowd here about the butt whoopin you took in Dollywood. I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time. 😂

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looked like I'd just lost a knife fight! Seriously, I unbuttoned and opened my shirt to see if I'd been shot!