Smoker Project

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
DF8FF71E-64E9-48F6-86D7-1A0DDCF4D2B8.jpeg7FDB1F25-AF1C-4EE0-88A2-890ABF4F138C.jpegD5853C0A-A276-412A-BD27-A15FF2BC1DFC.jpeg10” elbow cost to much, so I made one. Shoulda bought one😂 Stack is 10” id 16ga, 6’ 6”. Local machine shop rolled the pipe for me, and I got them to cut the elbow with their fancy CNC plasma, then I just had to weld it all up(y)

Damper, bungs for thermometers/grease drain, and cleaning up some welds is about all I got left…

Last edited:

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
Will the heat only flow across the top of meat looks like with rising heat your hole is vented all above the racks none below?? Thanks

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Will the heat only flow across the top of meat looks like with rising heat your hole is vented all above the racks none below?? Thanks
It's probably a few degrees difference in the height of a pork butt, but it'll be negligible.

The centerline, of both the exhaust and the throat, is dead level with the top of the grates. There will also be so much air moving through the pit that it will basically be a convection oven with smoke, and that will keep the temps fairly even across the entire cooking surface. The best smokers in the world will be within 5 degrees from end to end on a 1000 gallon pit. This one probably won't be that good, but it'll be a helluva lot better than what I've been cooking on(y)

treein dixie

Twelve Pointer
It's probably a few degrees difference in the height of a pork butt, but it'll be negligible.

The centerline, of both the exhaust and the throat, is dead level with the top of the grates. There will also be so much air moving through the pit that it will basically be a convection oven with smoke, and that will keep the temps fairly even across the entire cooking surface. The best smokers in the world will be within 5 degrees from end to end on a 1000 gallon pit. This one probably won't be that good, but it'll be a helluva lot better than what I've been cooking on(y)
Sounds good appreciate the knowledge!

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns

I’m pleased👍 Plenty of draw, don’t burn much wood and it runs soooo easy compared to what I’m used to…

That insulated firebox is the ticket, fire management is a dang breeze and it holds so much heat that new logs ignite almost instantly with no big temp spikes.

Good cleaning and seasoning and the patina has more pop than anticipated. I still need to strip the paint off the firebox, weed burner is way faster than grinding but I’m out of gas🤷‍♂️

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
AC8CADD3-AEB6-47EF-AB6A-1B68AD6D4533.jpegC64252DC-C874-4DA7-95B6-D1C4F4F174A6.jpegSeasoning setting nicely(y). Another good day or 2 of running it and it’ll be time for some grub.

Doors leak a touch on start up, but when it’s up to temp and pulling good you never see a wisp…

Been moving a probe around and I’m very happy with the temps across the grate. Some variation, but seems to be within 10 degrees 😳 I honestly didn’t think it was gonna be that good, but I was hoping😂

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
with the airflow you have i'd expect it to be pretty even. Heck, throwing meat in there might induce turbulence in the air flow and make temps more even when loaded.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
What time we eating?
Bout 12:30(y)63FEEA59-15CA-464C-8CA2-0E259B82F4D3.jpegThey could’ve stood a little more time but we were hongry😂 Did 9 racks, 3 kinds of sausage and some beans.

Need to adjust my cook times as far as smoke time goes. This pit burns so clean I need more time to develop flavor , and it also cooks a little cooler than I’m accustomed to.

Each pit has its own personality…this one is laid back and easy at 250 but gets a bit rowdy if I bump it to 275🤷‍♂️

Time to level a pad and get it home so I can start on the Smoak Shack…

Last edited:

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
what, all that and you couldn't make it portable....🤣🤣😜

that thing is impressive man.