Smith sunglasses

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I remember a thread on here a while back that many of y'all were mentioning Costa's quality had gone down. I have to agree unfortunately. Ive worn Costas for over 15 years but have been hearing more and more good things about Smiths. Who all has switched from Costa to Smith, are you happy with the quality and glasses overall ?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I switched last week. I needed one day shipping and was only able to get blue mirror lens (glass chromapop). Not impressed.

Going to switch to a brown Based glass chromaPop, and if they’re no better, going back to Costa 580G green/amber

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I remember a thread on here a while back that many of y'all were mentioning Costa's quality had gone down. I have to agree unfortunately. Ive worn Costas for over 15 years but have been hearing more and more good things about Smiths. Who all has switched from Costa to Smith, are you happy with the quality and glasses overall ?

I've been wearing Costa sunglasses since 1995. I haven't noticed a decline in their quality. I'm honestly trying to understand how that would affect anyone but them, since their return/repair/replace policy is so liberal.

Can someone explain that?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Only issue I've had with Costa is with the frames that have the silicon inserts/nosepieces. Those have a bad habit of the glue not holding them and Costa is slow to repair..especially if they no longer make that particular model. They prefer to sell you another model at a crazy good price...which is fine, except I like the models that had the issues and would like to keep wearing them.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I've been wearing Costa sunglasses since 1995. I haven't noticed a decline in their quality. I'm honestly trying to understand how that would affect anyone but them, since their return/repair/replace policy is so liberal.

I’ve personally noticed the last two pairs (blackfins) the nose rubber wears quickly, and the frames get loose but the screws are tight, which leads me to believe the corners by the hinges are wearing, allowing them to open. That said, it’s nothing I can’t put up with. Trying Smith because I have a few hardcore Costa friends that spend lots of time in the water, one probably 250+ days/yr, switched and love Smith. I’m going to return the pair I have and try a brown based lens for more contrast, and if that doesn’t suit me, back to Costa.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
I switched a while ago. Smiths so far have lasted much longer than the costas. They’re also lighter and seem to fit better. I haven’t had to send a pair back yet so I can’t say anything about their customer service.

Einstein

Six Pointer

A couple of things that all stem from one thing, they sold out in 2018 to Luxottica, that also owns Ray-Ban and Oakley. My problem was never the quality of the lens. It was the absolute horrific process of buying. They double charged, double shipped, failure to refund, you name it, I had it. Too long to go into detail again, just search for my last post about Costa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
never had costas went from oakley to smith.
to get the best quality lenses from smith make sure to get the glass. but all the pairs i have had are great.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I have been wearing smiths for two years. I love them! Have 3 pairs, all in chromapop plus polarized cooper mirror, blue mirror and green mirror with amber tint. They are lighter, fit better and I have not had issues with what little rubber is there. No issues at all.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I used Costa Del Mar for years. I have 3 pairs of Smiths right now and love them. They’re light, comfortable and the lenses are great. I’ll never go back to Costa. Seems like the rubber on stems and nose pieces wore out or turned loose. I will say, Costa’s customer service was always stellar. I can’t comment on Smith’s customer service. I’ve not needed to test them yet.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used Costa Del Mar for years. I have 3 pairs of Smiths right now and love them. They’re light, comfortable and the lenses are great. I’ll never go back to Costa. Seems like the rubber on stems and nose pieces wore out or turned loose. I will say, Costa’s customer service was always stellar. I can’t comment on Smith’s customer service. I’ve not needed to test them yet.

I have 3 pairs of Costas. None have rubber and all have glass lens. Ijust have no experience with the rubber issues.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I sure hope after I send these Smiths back and get a different lens color that I’ll agree, but right now, the guides choice glass chromapop blue mirrored lens hasn’t been any better than gas station poly

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
To my eyes Maui Jim beats out Costa Lens. Anybody have both and can comment on the smiths versus Maui Jim?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
To my eyes Maui Jim beats out Costa Lens. Anybody have both and can comment on the smiths versus Maui Jim?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed..Maui Jim beats out Costa as far as lens quality...but unless you're just looking to spend ridiculous amounts of money on something that is frequently being used in situations where they ARE going to frequently get scratched, damaged or lost I've found it's much easier on the wallet to go with a "good" quality pair than the "best"...YMMV

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Agreed..Maui Jim beats out Costa as far as lens quality...but unless you're just looking to spend ridiculous amounts of money on something that is frequently being used in situations where they ARE going to frequently get scratched, damaged or lost I've found it's much easier on the wallet to go with a "good" quality pair than the "best"...YMMV
Good points and is why I went with Costa for my beater glasses mowing and weed eating. That said my vision insurance pays for sunglasses very 2 years since I have had lasix sugurey. Probably stick with Maui Jim as it's hard to go backwards from the best I've used.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
just goes to show different strokes for different folks....Maui Jim’s were at the bottom of my list of the three mentioned. I need to get these smiths in the mail so I can try a different color.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
just goes to show different strokes for different folks....Maui Jim’s were at the bottom of my list of the three mentioned. I need to get these smiths in the mail so I can try a different color.
Exactly right. Everybody sees different through the same lenses.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Just curious......are you guys talking about Costa glass(580) lens? Maybe I'm really easy on mine, but they don't get scratched.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just curious......are you guys talking about Costa glass(580) lens? Maybe I'm really easy on mine, but they don't get scratched.
I don't have glass but in one pair, it's my oldest pair and still in good shape.
I've had worse luck with the frames than the lenses.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I suspect it's a color issue. Sometimes, we get so used to a certain color glasses that others don't look good to us. I will say that the green reflective/amber tint is a higher contrast lens that really gives good definition on land. The blue reflective, which throws a gray tint is still high quality, but can look bland after looking through the green for a long time.

My favorite thing about Smith is the comfort. The pairs I have are more comfortable than any Costa pair I've tried.