Smith mountian lake Stripers

mattharris0414

Anyone ever fish SML for stripers this time of year? Im trying to get stuff together to go try it out. I have some ideas where and how to fish but not sure the best place to catch fresh shad. Anyone have any suggestions?

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
The guides I’ve been with up there always caught shad at their boat docks. They usually had a light out over the water and threw the cast net there.

but , that might not be something you’d wanna try without asking a dock owner first.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
The guides I’ve been with up there always caught shad at their boat docks. They usually had a light out over the water and threw the cast net there.

but , that might not be something you’d wanna try without asking a dock owner first.

As long as you don't touch the docks or anything on or attached to the docks, there's not much a dock owner could do. The water is open to the public. I had a place at SML for several years, and frequently had guys throwing their nets around my lights. I always made sure I got out early to catch bait, or caught it late the night before.

This time of year, don't discount smaller baits. I've made some nice catches on alewives and threadfin shad. Put a variety of sizes in your spread, and see what they want on a given day.