Smaller late-season buck via ground-hunt.

popekilldragon

Button Buck
I've been scouting a piece of public in Onslow since the weekend before Thanksgiving -- found an active funnel with a lot of sign and bedding down below, but couldn't ever figure out where they were going into it from and why. Tried checking out the opposite direction of the funnel today about half a mile away, walked through some muddy marsh and creeks, snuck up on this abnormal 3-pointer (one antler is broken off around 5" up but the other is a normal 2-point) taking a deep nap a little before 1PM.

Popped him awake and standing with my bad attempt at a doe call and double-lunged him at ~10 yards from behind some palmetto leaves using a Point Blank Proline I've used forever (and should probably replace) and a Ramcat broadhead @ 55lbs draw weight (the lowest the Proline will go).

Even with most of them sleeping all day and not moving much, it's still not too late in the season to get a buck via archery on the ground if you have the time to do some heavy scouting/tracking, this was my 8th day on that land and the 3rd consecutive one. (y)

Attachments

• IMG_1550.JPG
    IMG_1550.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Bud B.

Eight Pointer
Any deer, especially a gameland deer, taken with a bow this time of year is great and quite an accomplishment. Deer patterns have definitely changed in my area since gun season came in.

Congrats!

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
That is awesome! Congrats! U should show a pic of the bow. Them Prolines bring back memories as that was my first bow. Just shows u don't have to have a new bow every year lol!

popekilldragon

Button Buck
That is awesome! Congrats! U should show a pic of the bow. Them Prolines bring back memories as that was my first bow. Just shows u don't have to have a new bow every year lol!

Yeah, it's an oldie for sure. The noisier draw than new models (and trouble getting it tuned locally...) is the only thing making me consider upgrading, but sentimental attachment stops me. Probably the same reason I still use a thumb release instead of upgrading to a wrist/finger one, too.

(Ignore the crossbow, that'd be my girlfriend's... She "wanted to take a more active interest in my hobbies" :ROFLMAO:)

Attachments

• IMG_0930.JPG
    IMG_0930.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 46

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Yeah, it's an oldie for sure. The noisier draw than new models (and trouble getting it tuned locally...) is the only thing making me consider upgrading, but sentimental attachment stops me. Probably the same reason I still use a thumb release instead of upgrading to a wrist/finger one, too.

(Ignore the crossbow, that'd be my girlfriend's... She "wanted to take a more active interest in my hobbies" :ROFLMAO:)
If your confortable with it use it,looks like it got the job done