Small duck hunting boats

Clark

Ten Pointer
I use the Creek M98, weighs less than 50 lbs. Versatile. Drag boat for gear in shallow marshes and can paddle around on small water. I sit all the way down on the hull floor to keep my CG low when paddling. Would probably prefer a size or two up but those size boats have consoles that hinder laying out flat.
Also use a 13' Gheenoe with 4 hp to get into the backs of lakes. Motor until too shallow, paddle, then walk. Can't lay down in the Gheenoe because of the middle seat, otherwise pretty good.

buckman84

Eight Pointer
I use the Creek M98, weighs less than 50 lbs. Versatile. Drag boat for gear in shallow marshes and can paddle around on small water. I sit all the way down on the hull floor to keep my CG low when paddling. Would probably prefer a size or two up but those size boats have consoles that hinder laying out flat.
Also use a 13' Gheenoe with 4 hp to get into the backs of lakes. Motor until too shallow, paddle, then walk. Can't lay down in the Gheenoe because of the middle seat, otherwise pretty good.
I was looking at the m98, also noticed the larger boats have some kind of console livewell in center. Wouldn't mind trying to pick up a pirogue style canoe but hard to find. That's what led me to the creek boats. Did you happen to get yours from the place in Albemarle?

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Here's my M80. It's only 34lbs and I have hiked it through a lot of woods just to get to the water. Couldn't do that with bigger heavier boats. Son and I used an M12 to get down river for my turkey this year.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
I was looking at the m98, also noticed the larger boats have some kind of console livewell in center. Wouldn't mind trying to pick up a pirogue style canoe but hard to find. That's what led me to the creek boats. Did you happen to get yours from the place in Albemarle?

I have an M12. Current version is without the live well and motor - previous one had those options. I wanted more room and ability to remove a trolling motor If needed. My absolute favorite way to hunt ducks is out of my creekboat. Both are picturedEE957E7B-3561-426B-B58C-AFF26CF71E5E.jpeg375B7A1A-2FFD-477F-9133-FB095C76A896.jpeg

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have an M80, the older M12 above (bought from wncdeerhunter), an Otter 1200, a ghenoe, various sizes of jon boats,,and two canoes,,,,, all have a place and time for use duck hunting,,,

go to Creek Boats,,, there are other nice boats out there as well,,,

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Love my Creek Boats. I have a M12 and M10. Neither have the live well. I have one trolling motor I switch between the 2 so there is no permanent hardware attached. Hunting from my M10, usually hunting solo, has become my favorite way to hunt. Great boats and great folks to deal with right here in NC.

Attachments

• M10Loaded.jpg
    M10Loaded.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 45

Clark

Ten Pointer
I stumbled on a good second-had deal. Nice thing about the M98 is I can carry it inside my Tahoe (snug fit). A larger size would not fit.

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
I have an M80, to small and cramped to use for any period of time. Its okay if you want to use as a pull boat for impoundments or getting to a blind, but you don't want to spend a lot of time in. Shooting out of it is impossible. I would go bigger unless like I said just crossing a ditch or pulling. I had a 13 ft Gheenoo in the past, very good boat.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Question for those in the know....
With all to yaks and small duck boats did they change some of the rules?
Seeing more and more with motors and no lights at ramps. Some putting at night and no lights.they do have a head lamp or most.
Funny thing no numbers. I thought all boats with motors required numbers and sticker.
Maybe they have them and not required to display?

venom17

Six Pointer
All motorized vessels on NC water MUST be registered, no exceptions.

Under power, they must have port/starboard light in front and white light in the back. Anchored must have 360deg white light.

Must display vessel number and reg sticker on both sides now. Just re-did mine last month

Clark

Ten Pointer
VOPGUIDE02.01.07 (ncwildlife.org)
2. Vessels of 10 Horsepower or Less: On waters of the State not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, vessels propelled by machinery of 10 horsepower or less, in lieu of the foregoing requirements, may carry from one-half hour after sunset to one-half before sunrise a white light in the stern or have on board a hand flashlight in good working condition which shall be ready at hand and shall be temporarily displayed in sufficient time to prevent collision

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I've used my M98 for floating creeks and the roanoke River. I've also used it to layout hunt the sound on calm days. I've rigged it up with a cart for pulling it behind a bike on some trips back into gamelands that would make for a long walk. They are very versatile little floats.