Small caliber for plinking???

CoonHntr

Four Pointer
Got an itch for a new rifle for some reason… would like a small caliber other than your common .22 lr or .17HMR. Doesn’t have to be rimfire, open to about anything. This rifle will be more or less a safe queen. Just looking something to drag out once in a while and plink with.

What oddball cartridges you guys shooting and having fun with?

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Not really oddball but a little different than most.

.17WSM or .17 HM2 if you want rimfire

.17 Hornet or .22 Hornet
.17 Remington if you can find one
.17 Fireball
204 Ruger
.221 Fireball
.222 Remington (the ole triple duece)
22 Nosler
224 Valkryie

Or make it easy and get a 22 magnum or 223 or 22-250

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve had a lot of fun with a .22lr.
I know you said something different. A 22lr set up with some good optics is really fun at 300yds plus

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Man I’d snag one like my little cz. 7.62 x39. Not ammo picky either it likes brown bear even. They stopped making the mini Mausers this year in favor of a new aluminum receiver gun. That being said, watched one sell on gun broker last night for $1200+

CoonHntr

Four Pointer
The .22 Hornet was on my short list. Also like the .17 WSM, but not a lot of rifles to choose from in this caliber.

The .223 is always a safe bet I guess. Probably one of the easiest to find ammo for.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Get a 222, everyone has a 223. You can still find ammo, even at Walmart. If you handload you can down load to a 22 Hornet and up to near 223 speeds.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I often thought a 25 ACP bolt gun would be the shizzle.

in a unit I served with the gunsmiths modified a Remington M700 to accept 1911 magazines ,,, the barrel was chambered in .45 ACP and was basically a 24" silencer,,, that gun was great for 125 meter or less shots and it was accurate and DEADLY quiet,, you could hear the entire trigger sequence to firing pin fall,,,

only ever used it for mod demos,,,but it was one of my favorites,,,

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
in a unit I served with the gunsmiths modified a Remington M700 to accept 1911 magazines ,,, the barrel was chambered in .45 ACP and was basically a 24" silencer,,, that gun was great for 125 meter or less shots and it was accurate and DEADLY quiet,, you could hear the entire trigger sequence to firing pin fall,,,

only ever used it for mod demos,,,but it was one of my favorites,,,
That was a cool conversion they did. I found that 38's are very quiet in my 22" single shot 357 rifle. I haven't tested for velocity or accuracy yet, but my books say they should be 800-900 fps.