Slugs- Rifled Barrels

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Need some schooling on slugs.. looking at an area this year that’s shotgun only, trying to decide between setting up the 870 Supermag versus just taking the 50BP.

Was thinking follow up shots would be a huge advantage to having the shotgun, but ballistically, need some input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
My 870 smooth bore 21” barrel imp cyl
Shoots them into a deer size kill zone at 75yds and 3” groups at 50yds
2038ffdf0ad96caa9e4a9224be5520ad.jpg

Best loads in order
1- brenneke KO 1oz 2.75”
2- Remington rifled 1oz 2.75”
3- federal rifled 1oz 2.75” low recoil tactical trueball

Dixi triball 3” mags are awesome. Wow recoil. #4 buck is my follow ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Well apparently the WRC considers a rifled slug gun a rifle and not a shotgun.

Contact your local wildlife enforcement officer to confirm.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Response from Sergeant Shawn Martin, NCWRC

Is it legal to use a rifled bore shotgun for hunting big game species in North Carolina?

State law and the regulations digest are not clear on this.

It is for deer and bear during a firearms season, not during the black powder or archery seasons. Also not allowed for turkey season. Some counties also high restrictions for being off the ground when using firearms.

I will pass it on, but the regulations says several times that it is unlawful to hunt turkey with a rifle already and the moment you put a "rifled" barrel on, you now have a rifle. Shotguns are technically a smooth bored firearm by definition. I will send it up, but would be another year before any changes would be made in print since they come out in a couple weeks.

Thanks

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
I also am partial to the 12ga. Brenneke 2 3/4" in a smoothbore
they shoot great and have big energy transfer.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
This is my experience. Had an 870 Hastings rifled slug barrel with scope. Bought a couple boxes of shells. Bought all the 3" they had and some 2 3/4" too. They were the hour glass shaped sabot slugs. The 3" would tumble and sometimes leave a hourglass shaped hole in the target. The 2 3/4 shot 1" groups at 50 yards.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Response from Sergeant Shawn Martin, NCWRC

Thanks for the unsolicited info.. IF that is what the Sgt stated, he seems sorely unknowledgeable on firearms. But as a CYA I’m checking with the area Sgt for that property.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
This is my experience. Had an 870 Hastings rifled slug barrel with scope. Bought a couple boxes of shells. Bought all the 3" they had and some 2 3/4" too. They were the hour glass shaped sabot slugs. The 3" would tumble and sometimes leave a hourglass shaped hole in the target. The 2 3/4 shot 1" groups at 50 yards.

Any issues with the scope not holding zero? I’ve ”heard“ bad things about the barrel mounted scopes versus a receiver mount, but no experience of my own so can’t say either way.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
As said contact your local sergeant or master officer and see what they say.

It will confirm whether it is a statewide policy coming from Raleigh or not.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Any issues with the scope not holding zero? I’ve ”heard“ bad things about the barrel mounted scopes versus a receiver mount, but no experience of my own so can’t say either way.

For a shotgun it probably doesn't matter. The barrel mounted scope mount is pretty solid. Helps keep the gun kinda modular if you want to switch back to a shot barrel. Scope stays zeroed on slug barrel.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
For a shotgun it probably doesn't matter. The barrel mounted scope mount is pretty solid. Helps keep the gun kinda modular if you want to switch back to a shot barrel. Scope stays zeroed on slug barrel.

Gotcha.. was thinking along the lines of an AR- mounting a scope on the hand guard typically is a waste of ammo & time. I’ll check out those - once I get my legality sorted..

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
If youre using a smooth barrel, it has been my experience that sabots don’t fly well. Brenneke slugs seem to be a little more accurate but can also be prone to tumbling from what I’ve heard. I use plain rifled slugs and they shoot minute-of-deer out to about 70yards in my 24” smoothbore slug barrel with irons.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If youre using a smooth barrel, it has been my experience that sabots don’t fly well. Brenneke slugs seem to be a little more accurate but can also be prone to tumbling from what I’ve heard. I use plain rifled slugs and they shoot minute-of-deer out to about 70yards in my 24” smoothbore slug barrel with irons.
Years ago, and I mean a bunch of them when I was hunting on Ft. Bragg I had to use slugs in certain areas. I had an A-5 with a buck special barrel on it.

I spent a bunch of time patterning that thing and Brenneke would shoot remarkable well to 75 yds. 75-100 they spread out to about 4". I tried to push it to 125 and it just was what I thought was too iffy.

All the other brands available back then (Foster) type pretty much shot the same. 50 yards and you were pushing your limit with them in that gun.

I later got a Mossberg with a Hastings barrel (rifled) after the sabots had been out quite some time and scoped it and with 2 3/4 Winchester Supreme sabots at the time it would stay in 3" all day long at 100 yds.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
of course there is not, ol' CRC was just trying to drag turkey rules into a deer hunting discussion,,

Lol I guess if I had him blocked like another user I wouldn’t have to worry about it..

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Correct.

Just got off the phone with area Sgt Tarpley, he confirmed that there is not a regulation against a rifled slug barrel, on a shotgun platform.

So he confirmed a rifled slug gun is a shotgun for regulatory purposes?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Nope.

You follow what you were told for your area, I will follow what I was told for mine.

Easy enough.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Correct.

Just got off the phone with area Sgt Tarpley, he confirmed that there is not a regulation against a rifled slug barrel, on a shotgun platform.

Likewise, I have talked to two also. They were unaware of any.

Reactions: DRS

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Captain Andrew Helton confirmed WRC policy it’s still considered a shotgun for enforcement purposes and yes legal to take turkeys with.

Last edited:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Unless it’s a 45/410 Judge, if you put a shotgun shell in the chamber it’s a damn shotgun and I cannot understand why anyone would want to shoot a turkey with a slug!!