Slow Couple Days

TH80

Eight Pointer
Hunted Thanksgiving morning and only got one woodie. Didn’t see as many flying and only shot a couple more. Found a spot on the way out where I kept seeing ducks fly towards. It was a smaller hole but I saw about 30 get up when I was looking around. Hunted that hole this morning expecting another good hunt. Saw a lot of high flyers several minutes before shooting time. Once it was time to shoot they slowed down. Did manage one drake woodie so no skunks yet this year. It was slow but still nice being in the swamp 31705B9D-C20D-443F-8B06-CDBBEFF893E1.jpeg

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
Very slow here as well, I think they are seeing my new blind. Few woodies before shooting time and afterwards, avoided our are like the plague. Had three big ducks but had zero interest in coming to visit. Beautiful sunrise here though.

Attachments

• 7E6F71A7-303D-4D4E-8EF1-A33BF88E18E5.jpeg
    7E6F71A7-303D-4D4E-8EF1-A33BF88E18E5.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 21

Clark

Ten Pointer
Been a little slow here too. I killed a woodie on Nov 5 opening day. Have not had a shot since.

Skunkgang

Spike
Been a super slow early season for me too. Saw more ducks on the 26th than I had all season which is strange as usually they've been whacked pretty hard by the end of this split. Hoping the unusually warm fall up north is the reason behind this and December and January will be better, though January is usually a pretty slow month for the majority of my spots. Actually thinking of planning a trip to Oklahoma or Kansas this January on account of such a slow November season, need to get my fix in.

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
11/5 - skunked (public land permit)
11/8 - skunked
11/12 - skunked
11/19 - two woodies
11/22- skunked
11/23- two ringnecks
11/26 - skunked

I REALLY hope it gets better. I wish I could say it was poor shooting, but not having many birds at least preserves shells..

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Just getting worse and worse and every year that I say "how can it get any worse?" it does the next year. Idk how any of you guys enjoy what has become "duck hunting" in our state. I saw a flock of about 30 bluewings back in september while fishing and have only seen 2 buffleheads since then and I'm on the water regularly. Not seeing any birds on any of the 1000 refuge ponds around my area either. Just sad. NC is the duck desert over the past 5-7 years.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Just getting worse and worse and every year that I say "how can it get any worse?" it does the next year. Idk how any of you guys enjoy what has become "duck hunting" in our state. I saw a flock of about 30 bluewings back in september while fishing and have only seen 2 buffleheads since then and I'm on the water regularly. Not seeing any birds on any of the 1000 refuge ponds around my area either. Just sad. NC is the duck desert over the past 5-7 years.

It has surely changed. Brother says it’s different on gulf coast too.

I hear lots of theories, but haven’t read any research.

Like everything other than deer, limits are changing the allowable take to often make it difficult for a weekend warrior to justify the investment.

Clark

Ten Pointer
11/5 - skunked (public land permit)
11/8 - skunked
11/12 - skunked
11/19 - two woodies
11/22- skunked
11/23- two ringnecks
11/26 - skunked

I REALLY hope it gets better. I wish I could say it was poor shooting, but not having many birds at least preserves shells..
We must hunt the same spots. Except for the ringnecks - congrats.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Impoundments and private property enhancements is the main reason. Public water/habitat quality has diminished significantly. More pressure on the sounds and public spots. Those would be the main reasons for the biggest changes we have seen in duck hunting in our state. Why would the ducks go to the sound, other than to maybe roost at times, when they have a ton of high quality habitat to use. Sure, they get hunted in most places, but if managed properly its not to the point to run them off, and many places have rest areas they can go to loaf and not get messed with.

TH80

Eight Pointer
Impoundments and private property enhancements is the main reason. Public water/habitat quality has diminished significantly. More pressure on the sounds and public spots. Those would be the main reasons for the biggest changes we have seen in duck hunting in our state. Why would the ducks go to the sound, other than to maybe roost at times, when they have a ton of high quality habitat to use. Sure, they get hunted in most places, but if managed properly its not to the point to run them off, and many places have rest areas they can go to loaf and not get messed with.
I gave up 20 acres on the sound this year. Just got where it wasn’t worth putting in the boat and putting all the decoys out for one duck. I've heard some guys hunting impoundments in Hyde say they haven’t killed as many the last few years. The swamps I’m hunting just don’t have as many and each year seems to get a little worse. I haven’t even heard as many distant shots this year when I’m hunting. The ducks just aren’t here like years ago.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
When ducks aren't even on any of the 1 million bodies of water that are refuge in this state where they never get touched.......then they're not here and likely won't be ever again. I ride by lakes and ponds all the time that have never been huntable that used to house thousands of ducks and 99.9% of them are duck deserts now.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Well it hasnt exactly been an overly cold year this year. I know of people who have done very well this year and some who have not. For the most part from back bay to currituck to hyde it seems to be an average year for the most part from people I know.
Aside from impoundments, people need to look at the food quality in the sounds and resting areas. I know on the albermarle, we used to see alot more ducks using the sound before edenton starting spraying the aquatic grass. Now its a fraction of what it was. You dont see any ducks on lake mattamuskeet as you cross the causeway bc the food is gone. Used to see a ton of ducks every trip crossing the lake. Now its just resting areas near the impoundments. Like I said before the quality of habitat is dropping. That plays a big part in what uses here.

I personally think aquatic grasses should be managed like wetlands. You cant just go spray and kill a bunch of wetlands but you can with SAV. I dont get it and it is very important for water quality, waterfowl food and fish habitat.

Last edited:

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I've been seeing lots of honkers around Orange and Caswell counties but very few ducks on ponds.
Usually see more ducks by now in ponds but they're either hiding in creeks or just not here.20221124_160504.jpg

Attachments

• 20221202_170356.jpg
    20221202_170356.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 2

Gus

Six Pointer
The thing thats making it harder for me, personally, is wealthy large impoundment/marsh owners/clubs that feed heavily from Oct 1st to Feb 1st, but only hunt Thanksgiving, Christmas and last day.
Seems like how many they are holding has replaced how many they are killing as a status symbol for those folks. Between Mackey's Island, Alligator River, Pea Island, Mattamuskeet, etc we have enough unhuntable govt refuge impoundments without adding a bunch of private ones.

Mallard Cutter

Six Pointer
I think it’s gone the way of the dodo bird. All of it. It all played a part in the demise of duck hunting. The boom of hunters influenced by the internet, the boom of the private impoundments , the death of any kind of grass , and yes the onslaught of housing developments along with the short/nonexistent winter weather. I have no idea what duck hunting will look like in 20 or even 10 years but I don’t think any of us are going to like it. I don’t know if I will miss it or not. Heck it’s been 10 years since I hunted public land and it had gotten to the circus stage then. People camping out two or three days ahead of the opening day?? Really ?? Or getting there at 4:00 and getting set up only to have some idiot try and set up on top of you. Here’s a hint , if I’m waving the flashlight it doesn’t mean come on in. And I don’t understand the “ tailgate glory shot “ that’s only got buffleheads and mergansers. But whatever. I will miss the days gone by where I was alone in the blind or with friends and everything really did come together somewhat. Or the days where we did nothing but drink coffee and just live life watching the sunrise with a cold wind cutting down on everyone. Enough of my rant. I really do hope things get better and the situation improves but I’m not holding my breath.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I think it’s gone the way of the dodo bird. All of it. It all played a part in the demise of duck hunting. The boom of hunters influenced by the internet, the boom of the private impoundments , the death of any kind of grass , and yes the onslaught of housing developments along with the short/nonexistent winter weather. I have no idea what duck hunting will look like in 20 or even 10 years but I don’t think any of us are going to like it. I don’t know if I will miss it or not. Heck it’s been 10 years since I hunted public land and it had gotten to the circus stage then. People camping out two or three days ahead of the opening day?? Really ?? Or getting there at 4:00 and getting set up only to have some idiot try and set up on top of you. Here’s a hint , if I’m waving the flashlight it doesn’t mean come on in. And I don’t understand the “ tailgate glory shot “ that’s only got buffleheads and mergansers. But whatever. I will miss the days gone by where I was alone in the blind or with friends and everything really did come together somewhat. Or the days where we did nothing but drink coffee and just live life watching the sunrise with a cold wind cutting down on everyone. Enough of my rant. I really do hope things get better and the situation improves but I’m not holding my breath.
Probably need another 30/3 season to weed out people. I dont want it bc we need as much support as we can get but I think thats the only way we will see a drop in hunter numbers.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
There's no ice yet to drive the south, even where I am the duck hunting has been slow, need some nasty northern storms to drive them down. Highs of 40's for the next week means whatever ducks are here aren't leaving yet for the south

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
Yep. A lot of things trending in the wrong way, a 30/3 would be fine with me, drop the wood duck limit to 2, and bufflehead to 3. See how many guys pay a guide $300 a gun then...

I do enjoy being out - but the days of not seeing a single bird, increasing per season, does get old. Weather be it man-made issues, or in God's hands has definitely changed. Winters aren't what they were. And habitat stinks. RIP Mattamuskeet RIP Harris Lake RIP Back Bay -

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Yep. A lot of things trending in the wrong way, a 30/3 would be fine with me, drop the wood duck limit to 2, and bufflehead to 3. See how many guys pay a guide $300 a gun then...

I do enjoy being out - but the days of not seeing a single bird, increasing per season, does get old. Weather be it man-made issues, or in God's hands has definitely changed. Winters aren't what they were. And habitat stinks. RIP Mattamuskeet RIP Harris Lake RIP Back Bay -
dont mess with the wood duck limit. They are doing just fine. If anything I think they could handle going to 4 a person but Im happy with 3

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Dropping bufflehead to 3 or any other large drop in any species bag limits isn't going to happen (even if needed) in Eastern Flyway or even out to the Dakotas (quickly getting dollarized/ruined) there will be too much outcry from Guides, local tourist economies, etc.

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
I think a 30/3 season across all flyways would have way more pushback than dropping a single bird limit. The sea ducks finally got a little reprieve this year and I really don't think people have the goal to target bufflehead. They've just became a limit filler when you can't shoot 4 bluebills anymore, nor see many divers at all. Let Canada keep their liberal limits...then we can all just go to Canada for a week - pay a guide $2,500 and shoot all we want, come home, wife is happy because duck season is over in a week. LOL

Gus

Six Pointer
I'm afraid 30-3 seasons would run more avid hunters out than the commander wannabes most would like to thin out.
Don't know how many here were hunting back when we last had 30-3 but it truly sucked.
The two biggest issues were one: the season dates were awful- It was something close to Thanksgiving to New Years day- just about the worst weeks of our current season for duck numbers. Those dates won't be much different next time because the state will feel pressure to have the season open during the holidays when kids are out of school and family hunts are the norm.
And two: All 30 days are similar to Saturdays now as far as hunting pressure. School is out, people are off for the holidays and any halfway serious duck hunter is using his vacation and sick days on non holidays during that 30 days.
I'm fine with dropping the limit if the numbers warrant it but, imo, the current limits don't really give you a much of a shot at a 6 duck limit anyway. You may have a hot swamp hole with wood ducks and mallards- you'd still need a third species to kill your 6th. Really not much point in setting out a big diver spread with a 1 blackhead limit unless you're guiding bufflehead hunters.
Most of the ducks that you could reasonably hope to kill 6 of in NC already have a 1-3 duck limit. But again I'm ok with dropping the limit if needed.
30 days with bad dates would be really tough on the avid fowlers that work at it almost year round. If it happens I'll adjust, morph into a float hunt only guy just enough to get the dog out some and do a lot of fishing.
If you live to hunt ducks though I'd think long and hard about pushing for 30 days.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I see the 3 duck option coming back - not because of overall health of migratory duck populations, but because so many can't ID ducks on the wing,,,

already in the experimental test phase in SD and Nebraska

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I see the 3 duck option coming back - not because of overall health of migratory duck populations, but because so many can't ID ducks on the wing,,,

already in the experimental test phase in SD and Nebraska

I dont see how recruitment of hunters is hurt by them not being sure of the type of ducks they are shooting. I wouldnt think that would be a barrier to getting into duck hunting We have all shot the wrong duck on accident. Its not the end of the world.

I hope we dont go to 3/30 but it may be coming. I think what we have now is good and the duck populations allow for it. I do think we will see a dip in duck numbers at some point as it is a cycle of high and lows. We will see hopefully we can keep what we have bc its nice to kill 6 when you can.