Slingshots for squirrels and rabbits?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I know slingshots have been debated on here before and they are not legal in NC but are they effective implements for taking species like fox squirrels?

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Big daddy is right, me and the gang wore out chipmunks and squirrels and rabbits back in the 70s with slingshot, actually wrist rockets were new back then and A far site better than standard slingshot.,, Yes especially when 32 caliber round balls for the black powder squirrel gun were used as ammo.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
why do you even ask this question? It's as good as the shooter

So a slingshot has enough power to kill a squirrel as big as fox squirrel?

Not talking chipmunks or red squirrels

I figure they're not legal because they are limited in what they can kill

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know a youngun or two who have killed coons with a wrist rocket...
So yes they will kill a fox squirrel.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So a slingshot has enough power to kill a squirrel as big as fox squirrel?

Not talking chipmunks or red squirrels

I figure they're not legal because they are limited in what they can kill
They will kill the hell out of a cat, draw your own conclusions. Measure and scrutinize that and see if it answers your goofy question.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Go to YouTube and type in MCQ Bushcraft slingshot hunting. He used to be based in England, but now in Sweden. He has several videos of him hunting squirrels with slingshots. It's legal in England. They often refer to them as "catapults"

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
The Karen guys I hang out with will shoot you in the head at 50yds with a sling shot.
They claim to have killed monkeys any many other game animals with them.
I guess it depends on your skill set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Karen guys I hang out with will shoot you in the head at 50yds with a sling shot.
They claim to have killed monkeys any many other game animals with them.
I guess it depends on your skill set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I was training squirrel dogs heavy one stayed in my coat to keep squirrels moving. I had carried one since I was a kid. I had a buddy that was good with a bow make a comment about me shooting it and we had a little competition in the yard one day. Lets just say he never challenged me again. Now I haven't touched one seriously in years, but I bet with a couple days practice I could probably be pretty decent again out to 30 yds or so. When I was wanting to kill something 45 cal lead balls was my choice. Just plinking or moving stuff for pups marbles.

I make my own, and as you can see it hasn’t been used in a while.
0F8F8636-5858-47F4-9345-A6432613A336.jpeg5F753024-C73F-413D-9CE7-D3B46C8A2E7E.jpeg

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
When I was wanting to kill something 45 cal lead balls was my choice.

kindred minds here,,,,

when I was doing stuff for Uncle Sam,,, I almost always had a wrist rocket in one pocket and a dozen or so 45 cal balls in the other,,,,

had fresh meat many a night while "on patrol",,,, that combo was almost as good as my suppressed ruger Mark II

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
A few years ago i thought bringing a slingshot with me while archery moose hunting would be a great idea based on the grouse we often see, and certainly didn't want to use a gun for noise. Pocket full of marbles and i was set.
After multiple times trying to hit this bird at a distance of 15, then 10, then 5 and running out of marbles i decided to finally throw the slingshot at the bird and still missed. That slingshot if anyone wants it is still sitting where it landed and there should be a good number of marbles in the vicinity

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
kindred minds here,,,,

when I was doing stuff for Uncle Sam,,, I almost always had a wrist rocket in one pocket and a dozen or so 45 cal balls in the other,,,,

had fresh meat many a night while "on patrol",,,, that combo was almost as good as my suppressed ruger Mark II
Yep, it is amazing what that combination will do to the old noggin.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
A few years ago i thought bringing a slingshot with me while archery moose hunting would be a great idea based on the grouse we often see, and certainly didn't want to use a gun for noise. Pocket full of marbles and i was set.
After multiple times trying to hit this bird at a distance of 15, then 10, then 5 and running out of marbles i decided to finally throw the slingshot at the bird and still missed. That slingshot if anyone wants it is still sitting where it landed and there should be a good number of marbles in the vicinity

Just like any weapon,,,,takes practice ;)

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I know slingshots have been debated on here before and they are not legal in NC but are they effective implements for taking species like fox squirrels?
Mack beat me to it,beanshooter only lived a few miles from here I’ve still got a couple of his forks around here