Sixteen new wildlife officers with the WRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

The graduating officers are listed below, along with their county of assignment:

• Stewart Abrams of Goodwater, Ala. (Craven County)
  • Ty Andrus of Forsyth County (Stanly County)
  • Lindsey Bijas of Middletown, N.J. (Onslow County)
  • Dylan Hanes of Forsyth County (Vance County)
  • Wesley Hollar of Avery County (Wilkes County)
  • Thomas June of Craven County (Granville County)
  • Jordan Keyes of Wake County (Cleveland County)
  • Matthew McGalliard of Buncombe County (Catawba County)
  • Alexander McPhail of Sampson County (Chowan County)
  • Amanda Nelson of Chicopee, Mass. (Stokes County)
  • Preston Perry of Rowan County (Sampson County)
  • Matthew Proctor of Davidson County (Orange County)
  • Jonathan Sprowl of Wake County (Beaufort County)
  • Justin St.Onge of Buncombe County (Rowan County)
  • Christopher Warren of Halifax County (Wilson County)
  • Zachary Weis of St. Paul, Minn. (Currituck County)

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
Wonder how many will be outgoing ? , hopefully less than graduates.
I have had 5 encounters / in 5 years , at 3 different locations with WRC ,
all went well, polite officers , even good conversation a couple times...

PG2

Ten Pointer
I got checked a few years back by 2 young guys who were new, in bow season and I was walking out in the dark. Instead of waiting for me at my truck they hid in the woods and jumped out, told them they were lucky I had a bow in my hand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I got checked a few years back by 2 young guys who were new, in bow season and I was walking out in the dark. Instead of waiting for me at my truck they hid in the woods and jumped out, told them they were lucky I had a bow in my hand...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Usually all good encounters also for me. Had one hiding in the dark behind a truck at the boat ramp. It was 2 am and he jumped out at me. I guess that was the one time I wasn’t very nice. He asked me if I was armed I said hell yes it’s 2 am and people could jump out at you. He checked our stuff and left. They have a tough job but I think they cut people to many breaks.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
well most are nice but I have had a few bad encounters. Like the time I pulled up to the bank at Guy Pond in angier right after dark and he is shining his flashlight right in my eyes. I shined my spotlight in his eyes and he said to to stop it. I said I will cut mine off when you cut yours off. he did not identify his self it was dark and for all i knew it was someone trying to rob me. He cut his light off pretty quick. couple hundred thousand candlelight vs maglight .

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
or the time in Virginia 2am , I am pretty much asleep listening for my clickers to go off and a yak bangs up against my jon boat and he grabs the side of my boat. No game warden intro until he had grabbed my boat. I pretty much let him have it but then he found out who I was and all was well, I had called in numerous poachers to him and he had caught several of them.

most are really nice.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
well most are nice but I have had a few bad encounters. Like the time I pulled up to the bank at Guy Pond in angier right after dark and he is shining his flashlight right in my eyes. I shined my spotlight in his eyes and he said to to stop it. I said I will cut mine off when you cut yours off. he did not identify his self it was dark and for all i knew it was someone trying to rob me. He cut his light off pretty quick. couple hundred thousand candlelight vs maglight .
First time I've heard anyone on here mention Guy Pond. I used to fish there with my dad about 60 years ago. Good memories.

Having hunted for over 60 years, most of my encounters with Wildlife officers have been pleasant. One black officer in Harnett County actually helped me drag my deer out. Another heard me shooting on a private range one morning and not being familiar with the area walked close to a mile across the woods to where I was shooting. We spent an hour or more together and he joined in with me shooting on the range. I know they have a tough job, but it has to be rewarding as well.

I was accepted to the Wildlife Officer training school (or whatever it was called) in the late 60's, but changed my mind before the class started due to financial concerns. I've always regretted that decision.

klim

Twelve Pointer
I’ve got a lot respect for those guys .and always had good encounters with all them but one, he was a complete prick. I don’t think he’s a wildlife officer anymore last time I heard. My first encounter I ever had with one was in the early 90’s with Officer Kennedy, he’s retired now. I think. I know one thing, he was built like a linebacker.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My only encounter was when I had a question regarding using a deer slug. He called me back and said it was OK, and "Now go out there and bust a big one". I think I'd enjoy hunting with that guy.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
One of my best friends in GA was a Warden, I thought I wanted to be one also until I saw what they really had to go through to be successful and advance. I was with GSP at the time and went to his calls for back up several times. The situations usually changed when I showed up and nothing ever escalated but he's out there in the middle of the night by himself dealing with KNOWN armed people. At least in my job not everyone was armed...

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
All of my experiences have been really positive with the exception of the very first one. I was 16 years old and was a newbie deer hunter. Was plenty experienced hunting ducks and small game, but being out there in the dark by myself was a new experience. I wasn't scared as much as I was just uncomfortable with the dark and being alone.

Opening day was action packed, and I saw a bunch of deer, but couldn't get a shot off at anything I wanted. Made the long trek out of the woods with my climbing stand and made it back about an hour after LST. As soon as I put my rifle down and slid the climber off my shoulder, the GW popped out of the ditch with his flashlight in my face. He literally scared me so bad I reached for my rifle out of fear. Didn't have a clue who he was only that I was in the middle of nowhere and anyone hiding in the ditch intended me harm. That was as close as I've ever come to pointing a gun at another person. It really shook me up. Once I figured out who he was, I was a wreck. I told him my split second thought was that he intended harm and instinct was to shoot. It seemed like that really pissed him off even more. He was convinced that I had a deer down. Looked me over for blood, checked all my stuff. Plain rude in every possible way. I was literally a nervous wreck because I almost shot the guy. He was a total ass because he interpreted my visibly shaken demeanor as guilty of something. Bad experience, but glad it was only a bad experience instead of a funeral. Could have been, and probably would have been mine.

Luckily that guy retired, and I made it a point to meet the new GW. Made sure he knew me and what my truck looked like. Told him if he ever wanted to surprise me, to call out my name first and then say who he was from a safe distance. LOL... Never had another problem anywhere. Been checked by the Feds, local GW's and several out of state guys. All professional and even helpful. It is definitely a tough job. Almost everyone they check has a gun.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First time I've heard anyone on here mention Guy Pond. I used to fish there with my dad about 60 years ago. Good memories.

Having hunted for over 60 years, most of my encounters with Wildlife officers have been pleasant. One black officer in Harnett County actually helped me drag my deer out. Another heard me shooting on a private range one morning and not being familiar with the area walked close to a mile across the woods to where I was shooting. We spent an hour or more together and he joined in with me shooting on the range. I know they have a tough job, but it has to be rewarding as well.

I was accepted to the Wildlife Officer training school (or whatever it was called) in the late 60's, but changed my mind before the class started due to financial concerns. I've always regretted that decision.
It was called pre service training back then. It was three weeks. If you made it through you were hired if they had an opening or put on the list by your ranking of finishing and then placed as positions came open. Then during your first year of service you went back for 13 more weeks of training.