Situation at Norm’s

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
...well cooked...

I'd be lying if I said I didn't use it from time to time. Those times are when I get distracted and it ends up "well."

3 minutes per side is long enough for me. Anything more, I consider "well."

Pro tip, lol, Food Lion brand steak sauce is better than A1.

SnowMaker

Eight Pointer
A friend of mine always used a processor, one day he calls me after shooting a doe and the processors were full here. Caught us at a good time and I said bring her on over. 3 of us got it done in a few hours. Now he does all his own deer. To each their own but I'm grateful I don't have to worry about processors being full or their prices

Infamous1

Eight Pointer
Took a big nanny(double lung shot with bow) to a processor (a guy I worked with recommended). Nice place, cleaned her there (had to dispose of my own waste) hung her in the cooler hide off, and wrote 100% grind 20% fat on the hang tag. Guy called me in about two weeks and said it was ready. $60 well dang thats not too bad. Packages were nice tight vacuum sealed about 1lb each meat looked bright red and clean....all 17 packs of it. When I asked he said I must have shot through the hams and ruined the meat or something. That when I borrowed a grinder and done my own for the first time.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I bought a grinder by “Meat” last year. I got 25% off. Added it to my cart and waited a day. They emailed me some coupons. The .5hp is a workhorse that I got for around $200. I liked the lifetime warranty they have on it as well.

Also got a sausage stuffed from LEM on sale end of the season.

Lots of options. Good luck

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
For you guys that are processing your own deer burger/sausage.. Grinder recommendations?
I have an Amazon special (turbo force) that’s had 2000 pounds or more of meat through it in 7 seasons.
It’s got a small feeding channel though.
my next one will be a bigger feed channel and stronger motor.

I have the LEM big bite 10# stuffer that is AWESOME for stuffing sticks and sausages.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
For you guys that are processing your own deer burger/sausage.. Grinder recommendations?

I just bought an attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer we have in the kitchen and go with that...When we had the farms, we would come back with 20 deer or so...We always boned it out when we cleaned and when we got back, we got together and worked the meat up...On top of grinding, we made roasts and would can pints as well...Growing up, we butchered 20 hogs a year so doing this kind of work is no big deal...By doing our own, we know we are getting back what we actually killed and nobody is skimming off the top....

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I'm sure that I could look it up, but what is the average % of meat that is expected from a deer? I've never weighed it out or really thought about it much

Infamous1

Eight Pointer
I have made 120 lbs of sausage and 150 lbs of burger in one of the $60 Harbour Freight grinders and it worked OK for a one man operation.
I'm sure that I could look it up, but what is the average % of meat that is expected from a deer? I've never weighed it out or really thought about it much
I usually figure 30% of live weight

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I have no idea why anyone would pay to have someone else grind up venison to burger...
Let me help you out….. I DO NOT WANT TO DO IT…but I will not pay 192 bucks to have it done……they got me once….. but not again!

I don't know why people get so vehement about people that don't care to do it for themselves.
Lots of things I can do for myself, I outsource, at least sometimes.
I can bake a Pizza as easily as ordering one, yet no one would say "just make one yourself!" if I asked where to order Pizza from.
I can launder my own dress shirts, but sometimes some of them go to the dry cleaners.
I can paint my own living room, but given that it's a mess and would take my 2x as long, I'm more likely to hire a painter.
I can change my own oil, but the hassle and mess of storing/getting rid of old oil means I'll take it to a shop.
I can butcher my own deer, but depending on schedules, weather, and other factors, sometimes I'll hire it out.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
don't get me wrong,,, A1 has a good taste,,, just not for steaks and such that are PROPERLY cooked,,, now if it's some of my wife's left over steak (cooked "well done") then bring it on!
My wife is a good cook don't get me wrong but she's also a cheapskate will by a tough cut in heartbeat cook the roast with veggies and that's when I bring out some sauce I ain't wasting it but its gotta have little something

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I don't know why people get so vehement about people that don't care to do it for themselves.
Lots of things I can do for myself, I outsource, at least sometimes.
I can bake a Pizza as easily as ordering one, yet no one would say "just make one yourself!" if I asked where to order Pizza from.
I can launder my own dress shirts, but sometimes some of them go to the dry cleaners.
I can paint my own living room, but given that it's a mess and would take my 2x as long, I'm more likely to hire a painter.
I can change my own oil, but the hassle and mess of storing/getting rid of old oil means I'll take it to a shop.
I can butcher my own deer, but depending on schedules, weather, and other factors, sometimes I'll hire it out.

I can work but that unemployment check is easier.

SurferGuy08

Six Pointer
For good people, quality processing, and still at reasonable prices, I have really enjoyed Gammon's Processing for a number of years now. For your basic processing, including skinning/gutting, you are looking at about $75 to $80. Sounds MUCH better than $190 to me.

5573 Oscar Gammon Road
Mebane NC
336-421-9413
I just took my deer there on Saturday. They seemed like nice people. I explained to the lady helping me with my order I wasn't sure what I wanted. She took her time with me and explained everything to me. They told me it could be between 7-10 days and I am okay with that.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
View attachment 79451
how much would Norm’s charge me to put up 240# of elk?!?
Summer sausage, ground, jerky, steaks.
All vac sealed.
4D632875-56E5-4883-AC6C-F7A76238ABD7.jpeg
the 65 on the left is leftover cow meat waiting to be ground into straight elk chuck. I’ve already froze her good stuff and a couple whole trimmed ham pieces to make jerky with.
that should be about 85# of meat to grind as straight elk.

the cooler on the right contains the whole bull. Haven’t frozen anything from him. He was really stressed and his meat is still bright red. Hoping another few days will bleed him on out.
He is going directly to ground with pork fat mixed in. Likely 100# of elk to 25# pork mixed to it.

Bean

Eight Pointer
I’m a big time do it yourself kind of guy and have always got a lot going on. I do my skinning and butchering but I have no desire to do the grinding and mixing. I save enough in other areas to splurge here but to each his own

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I shot a doe last Sunday evening, had to work Monday and Tuesday. I'm at work 11 hours a day and drive an hour each way. I was going to have the wife take it to the processor Monday morning. They were full. I have the equipment to do it myself and usually do when I have time. Thankfully the temps were favorable this week. I got the last of it chunked up and in the fridge this morning. If the weather was warmer I would have had to take a day off work or wasted meat. The processor is just a convenience when I'm pressed for time.