Situation at Norm’s

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I shot a doe last Sunday evening, had to work Monday and Tuesday. I'm at work 11 hours a day and drive an hour each way. I was going to have the wife take it to the processor Monday morning. They were full. I have the equipment to do it myself and usually do when I have time. Thankfully the temps were favorable this week. I got the last of it chunked up and in the fridge this morning. If the weather was warmer I would have had to take a day off work or wasted meat. The processor is just a convenience when I'm pressed for time.

Or put it in a cooler with ice and process at your convenience

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
For you guys that are processing your own deer burger/sausage.. Grinder recommendations?

I bought this 1hp grinder from Dunham's. Grinds so fast it can be difficult to keep up with. Have ground a couple pounds of beef in under a minute.

Did some sausage last week. About 7¹/² lbs. One thing I've noticed; though the taste is far better than what you'll buy pre-packaged, when doing sausage, I probably won't grind less than 20lbs at a time. It took longer to clean, than it did to grind. Add cutting it up, sticking everything in the freezer, vacuum sealing.. all that... anything under 20lbs is too time consuming for what you get.

Beef was cut, grind, patty, and clean while it was cooking. Sausage is a little more involved. *** BUT I'm new to it, so I suspect I'll become more efficient in the future.

Don't know why it's not on Dunham's website. So here's another link for it.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
For good people, quality processing, and still at reasonable prices, I have really enjoyed Gammon's Processing for a number of years now. For your basic processing, including skinning/gutting, you are looking at about $75 to $80. Sounds MUCH better than $190 to me.

5573 Oscar Gammon Road
Mebane NC
336-421-9413
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Or put it in a cooler with ice and process at your convenience
Correct. It will take me about 3.5 to 4 hours max to skin, clean, process, and bury the leftover stuff for each one. And I do it when it works by keeping on ice. Cost is ice and ziplock bags

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
That's why I bought my own equipment, meat grinder, meat mixer, Dakota water stuffer, Can process whole deer after quartering up in about 3 1/2 hours by my self .That's cleaning all the meat ,cutting it into pieces to fit into grinder and grinding it up for burger, cutting out roasts , steaks, cutting back strapes like I want , and clean up. you can add another couple hours if you are making any stuffed products. I have long since paid for the machinery by doing it myself except for my time, and I like knowing how the meat was handled during the process.And of course you have to enjoy doing it.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I guess I could use more practice with my knife skills. Takes me way longer than that.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I usually get one or two a year by a processor and do a few a year myself. I hope that I get better at doing it myself and eventually just stop going to a processor. This year I'm boning out the meat and freezing it to grind after the season.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Can process whole deer after quartering up in about 3 1/2 hours by my self .
3.5 hours is a chunk of time.. and when I consider what an hour of my time is worth, it is cheaper to take it to the processor for basic burger. (especially when you factor in the price of fat right now, freezer paper or tubes etc.). I am assembling the stuff to do it myself if I need, or want, to. More so for different sausages etc.. but for basic burger the $50 bucks is worth it to me. Never be worth it to have someone else skin and gut one.. that can be done in 15 min, less if in a hurry.

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
3.5 hours is a chunk of time.. and when I consider what an hour of my time is worth, it is cheaper to take it to the processor

I started thinking this way a few years ago. I can make way more money in a given time frame, doing what I'm skilled in, than what someone else charges to do a job, that I am not that skilled in. That being said, if I don't have any jobs lined up, I don't mind refining a skill I am not that good at. But at the same time I could be hunting........

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
I started thinking this way a few years ago. I can make way more money in a given time frame, doing what I'm skilled in, than what someone else charges to do a job, that I am not that skilled in. That being said, if I don't have any jobs lined up, I don't mind refining a skill I am not that good at. But at the same time I could be hunting........
Well that's what i meant by you enjoying it ,the process would not be worth anything if you didn't enjoy learning and doing whatever it might be.

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
It's all about the quality of the finish product for me .I know there are some good processor out there but I have never seen one who could do as good a job as I can do at home. Of course I am retired and have more time to do it than some folks . Knowing how it has been handled ,knowing it is my deer I receive and done the way me and my wife like it is worth the time and effort to me.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
It's all about the quality of the finish product for me .I know there are some good processor out there but I have never seen one who could do as good a job as I can do at home. Of course I am retired and have more time to do it than some folks . Knowing how it has been handled ,knowing it is my deer I receive and done the way me and my wife like it is worth the time and effort to me.
Was gonna post this same thing earlier.
If you have the time and enjoy working with meat, it’s one of the most enjoyable aspects of hunting.

I genuinely love working up game.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I genuinely love working up game.

as do I,,,

plus I've heard to many horror stories on pay places,,, I'm particular that way,,, so you can say I "don't trust them",,,

paid to have moose processed,,, and wasn't happy with how they did it,,, but such is life

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
3.5 hours is a chunk of time.. and when I consider what an hour of my time is worth, it is cheaper to take it to the processor for basic burger.
How do you ever afford to sleep?

That logic only goes so far. If you're putting off business to do something - it makes sense. If you're doing it in your spare time or after working hours, it's FREE. That calculation is only valid if I am replacing work time with the time for the task, and I am thankful that's not necessary. Anything done in my spare time that I would have otherwise had to pay for is free money.

But processing deer is not about the money. It's about the full experience and the peace of mind, that it was done right.

For some people using a processor makes a lot more sense, but this thread is evidence that it doesn't come without hassles and a time expense of it's own. Don't forget to calculate the time spent driving to and from the processor, waiting in line, filling out paperwork, etc.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
3.5 hours is a chunk of time.. and when I consider what an hour of my time is worth, it is cheaper to take it to the processor for basic burger. (especially when you factor in the price of fat right now, freezer paper or tubes etc.). I am assembling the stuff to do it myself if I need, or want, to. More so for different sausages etc.. but for basic burger the $50 bucks is worth it to me. Never be worth it to have someone else skin and gut one.. that can be done in 15 min, less if in a hurry.

With that logic how is hunting even worth your time then?

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With that logic how is hunting even worth your time then?
Pretty simple actually it is something I enjoy, recreation, down time.. again, i have no issue with people doing their own. I will do that too when I want something special done.. but basic burger is not worth my time when I can have a whole deer ground, packaged and frozen for $50 bucks, including letting it hang and age for a week first.

Time is your most important asset in life, IMO, and how you decide to spend it is up to each individual. I chose to spend mine doing other things most of the time. in the example you will never get that 3.5hrs back and I would simply rather spend it on something far more entertaining or lucrative. Just because I say my time is worth more than that, it is not necessarily a completely monetary statement.

Edit: it is kinda like changing my own oil.. I can, I know how, I have etc. But I don't, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.. so I pay the man and use my time in a different way.

How do you ever afford to sleep?
:) Sleep is worth a lot more to me than I could make.

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty simple actually it is something I enjoy, recreation, down time.. again, i have no issue with people doing their own. I will do that too when I want something special done.. but basic burger is not worth my time when I can have a whole deer ground, packaged and frozen for $50 bucks, including letting it hang and age for a week first.

Time is your most important asset in life, IMO, and how you decide to spend it is up to each individual. I chose to spend mine doing other things most of the time. in the example you will never get that 3.5hrs back and I would simply rather spend it on something far more entertaining or lucrative. Just because I say my time is worth more than that, it is not necessarily a completely monetary statement.

Edit: it is kinda like changing my own oil.. I can, I know how, I have etc. But I don't, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.. so I pay the man and use my time in a different way.

So what are you doing while you wait then? You have to schedule an appointment, drive to the oil change place,wait then drive back home. That just shoots holes in your "my time is worth more" logic. Not trying to start an argument, just trying to wrap my head around how some others think.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I enjoy it, I’m good at it, and I love making stuff that I can’t buy.

As far as time goes, when I’m making meat, my girls are right there with me so any time/cost calculation is irrelevant.

But some of y’all are slow😂 3.5 hours to put up A deer?

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So what are you doing while you wait then? You have to schedule an appointment, drive to the oil change place,wait then drive back home. That just shoots holes in your "my time is worth more" logic. Not trying to start an argument, just trying to wrap my head around how some others think.
Working.. I take my laptop into the dealership and work. I schedule the appointment when I am going to be in that neighborhood anyway, when I was going to the office it was on my way there and home. I don't work by the hour, nor do I have to be in a specific place to work... heck I have worked from the stand on my phone from time to time when I needed to work but wanted to be hunting.. I figured out how to do both.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I enjoy butchering a deer. It is a huge part of hunting for me. Having the right equipment and storage available is needed. Shooting the deer is possibly my least favorite part. Gutting is not fun but necessary.
Only thing I've ever taken to a processor (other than my 1st deer) is deboned, trimmed meat to be made into dried venison, or bologna.
wish someone did dried deer here In the south.
some processors combine meat when grinding. This is a absolute NO in my opinion. I take great care to make sure my meat is properly cared for. I do. ot want my meat touching anyone elses.🤣
probably get mixed with a dog hunters adrenaline filled crap. :stir:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Working.. I take my laptop into the dealership and work. I schedule the appointment when I am going to be in that neighborhood anyway, when I was going to the office it was on my way there and home. I don't work by the hour, nor do I have to be in a specific place to work... heck I have worked from the stand on my phone from time to time when I needed to work but wanted to be hunting.. I figured out how to do both.

See this is why I ask

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
probably get mixed with a dog hunters adrenaline filled crap. :stir:

I know you’re just being an ignorant yankee(redundant, I know;)):stir: but do you honestly think the meat tastes any different?

ETA I do have some venison drying for chipped(y)

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
And get your wallets ready if you go… took my buck and had it all ground into burger and the loins vacuum packed……192 bucks….. in the past a deer usually run 120 bucks…..
Jesus, is that the norm anymore? Last deer I paid to have cut up was in 2014 in WV and I believe it was $70 total

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I enjoy it, I’m good at it, and I love making stuff that I can’t buy.

As far as time goes, when I’m making meat, my girls are right there with me so any time/cost calculation is irrelevant.
I shot one earlier in the season and butchered it when the kids were not around. When one of them found out, you'd have thought I stole the candy right out of his stocking. He made me promise that I wouldn't process HIS deer until Saturday when he could help. Apparently for that one, butchering the deer is a significant part of the process for him. The oldest one would rather slide out of the room unnoticed when we bring the meat in.

Honestly, I didn't enjoy it much as a kid. It seemed more like work. As I've gotten older, I have grown to appreciate the process. Looking at a freezer full of meat you just put up is a lot like looking at a full wood shed you just split. There's a certain satisfaction to it (for me) that goes beyond dollars or hours spent.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When processors are advertising a flat fee, are they really charging the same for a 90 lb. doe as they do for a 190 lb. buck?

Seems like a per/lb. fee structure would make a lot more sense.