Situation at Norm’s

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Many of you know of Norm’s Deer Processing on NC 54 just west of Carrboro. Norm sold out this year to two younger guys, Jeff and Jeremy, and they have made some nice improvements and are great to deal with. For example, the gambrels are now electric and they poured concrete underneath.

Well the public has taken notice, and people are flocking to Norm’s (it’s still called Norm’s, and Norm is often hanging around). I brought my two deer there this morning, and there was no room in the cooler. They let me quarter it there, even assisted, and suggested I keep it cool and call them on Monday to see if there’s a spot for me.

So I’d suggest you call them before you drive out there.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m going elsewhere….. skinning /cleaning area is nasty as hell….. a little Clorox and water in a backpack sprayer would go a long ways to help with the flies…… I suggested it, they laughed….

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
120 was ok by me….. I ain’t interested in doing it myself…..I won’t be the only one that doesn’t go back

nchunter78

Six Pointer
For good people, quality processing, and still at reasonable prices, I have really enjoyed Gammon's Processing for a number of years now. For your basic processing, including skinning/gutting, you are looking at about $75 to $80. Sounds MUCH better than $190 to me.

5573 Oscar Gammon Road
Mebane NC
336-421-9413

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I’ll trade you 35 lbs of ground beef for $192

🤣
Dang that's a pretty good deal considering what I see when I walk by the meat counter these days. $5.50 a pound is not bad and I suspect your burger is better then the stuff that hits the meat case at wally world.

I've used Gammons for many years when I take a deer to a processor. I usually take one or two to them and then process the others myself.
You tube has a lot of good videos on this..... Im hopefully going to figure out how to make some good sausage. I'm throwing everything but the backstraps/ tender loins in the freezer to grind after the season goes out.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Dang that's a pretty good deal considering what I see when I walk by the meat counter these days. $5.50 a pound is not bad and I suspect your burger is better then the stuff that hits the meat case at wally world.

I've used Gammons for many years when I take a deer to a processor. I usually take one or two to them and then process the others myself.
You tube has a lot of good videos on this..... Im hopefully going to figure out how to make some good sausage. I'm throwing everything but the backstraps/ tender loins in the freezer to grind after the season goes out.
@Moose , I can vouch from 1st hand experience about the quality of @bwfarms products.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns

… and that includes tax, really it works down closer to $5.38 at retail. 100% Angus beef, zero additives and a customer keeps the money local because I infuse that cash back into multiple local small businesses.

Bean

Eight Pointer
I called them today and asked about price. It’s $3 a lb to grind burger and that’s me taking it to them deboned. I said thanks and hung up lol. I will pass

Bean

Eight Pointer
oh man,,, gonna have to get setup to do some processing,,,, with a good grinder that's like $120/hour leaving 20 minutes to bag it up,,,,
I know right. I told the wife we can buy all the equipment and it pay for itself from grinding two deer

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I carry my meat in trimmed and cut up ready for the grinder. I have too much trouble finding fat so I'm glad to deal with the fellow I use. I'll take my loins in already cut and ready for the cuber. I usually pay between $25-$30 to have my whole deer made into burger and the loins run thru the tenderizer and he usually does it while I'm standing there.