Since we are talking about the 6.5 Creedmoor...

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’ve been a one-rifle guy for big game (deer, hogs, black bear, coyotes) my entire adult life. I’ve asked my Browning ABolt Stainless Stalker in .30-06 to do it all, and it has never let me down. However, like many hunters, I’m intrigued by the 6.5 Creedmoor, and now want to add one to the safe.

A little research shows that I can buy one of many MOA or better rifles off the rack for around $500. Since I’ve been out of the big game rifle market for several decades now, I’m asking for opinions from you guys, who all know much more about this stuff than I do. This rifle would be used for whitetails in bean fields, long-distance fun at the range, and maybe a Western antelope/mule deer solution. So, what’s a great value rifle in this caliber, for the stated purpose, around the $500 price range? Note that I already have the appropriate optics in hand.

Separate but also important question: what’s with all the threaded barrels these days? Can a rifle with a threaded barrel be shot without buying something to screw into the threads? My Browning has the BOSS, with which I use the CV-R attachment to eliminate the muzzle brake when hunting. However, I’m not the least bit interested in a muzzle brake with a soft-shooting 6.5, nor do I want a suppressor.

Thanks in advance for everyone’s input…

nontypical

Ten Pointer
My Ruger american predator was less than 400.00 and shoots very well with factory ammo. I think they now even offer a stainless version also within your budget. Yes, it shoots fine with the threaded cap that comes with the gun. I put a brake on mine just because I wanted to reduce the recoil.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I also agree with the Ruger American Predator. Great bang for the buck. I don't have one in 6.5 yet but my .25-06 is shooting great groups with almost everything I feed it.
This group was at 200y

Attachments

• 14509.jpeg
    14509.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 26

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I have an x bolt long range stalker that was twice the money and is a way nicer rifle fit and finish wise than my brothers American predator. But it doesn’t shoot any better.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
the Savage Axis, and all of the variants they make off of the 10/110 actions are great deals, as are the Ruger American lines. Both will shoot as well or better than most others.

But, if you want a nice fit and finish, you'll want some thing a little nicer (Browning, Tikka, Sako, Weatherby...etc). Again, don't expect it to shoot any better, but it will look and feel higher quality...

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for all the great input guys!

I had a few rifles in mind coming into this discussion, which included the Ruger American, Savage 110 Storm, and Browning ABolt 3. Glad to hear that I was not far off the mark, and that you guys confirm that all of these name-brand $500 rifles are real shooters.

Now it's just a matter of letting the Black (rifle) Friday sales make the great deals even better, and seeing what feels best in my hands...

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
im in the same boat and ive narrowed it down to a savage axis II or the Ruger American. I perfer the lower grade guns to hunt with, then im not to worried about hunting in bad weather or getting them scratched up.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for all the great input guys!

I had a few rifles in mind coming into this discussion, which included the Ruger American, Savage 110 Storm, and Browning ABolt 3. Glad to hear that I was not far off the mark, and that you guys confirm that all of these name-brand $500 rifles are real shooters.

Now it's just a matter of letting the Black (rifle) Friday sales make the great deals even better, and seeing what feels best in my hands...

That FV12 shoots lights out. It’s a 300$ gun
Heavy barrel on the 10action.
Go hold the new savage predator if you want to spend 500$
Cheers

klim

Twelve Pointer
That FV12 shoots lights out. It’s a 300$ gun
Heavy barrel on the 10action.
Go hold the new savage predator if you want to spend 500$
Cheers

I sure wish Savage made a 300 win mag in that model FV12, Talk about a bean field rifle.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I sure wish Savage made a 300 win mag in that model FV12, Talk about a bean field rifle.

can't happen - the 12 series is short action

Savage makes plenty of guns in 300 win mag though,,,getcha one!

love my 110 in 7 mag,,,lightweight and a shooter,,,call her Ugly Betsy,,,she's killed deer, moose, caribou, bear, and targets,,,,

klim

Twelve Pointer
can't happen - the 12 series is short action

Savage makes plenty of guns in 300 win mag though,,,getcha one!

love my 110 in 7 mag,,,lightweight and a shooter,,,call her Ugly Betsy,,,she's killed deer, moose, caribou, bear, and targets,,,,

I’ve owned a 300 WSM in stainless model at one time. Shot great but literally killed on both ends, plus my brother wanted more than I did. If the price is right I’d own another one. I’ve got a Smokeless Savage muzzleloader and absolutely love it. I know what your saying about the 12 series being short action, I should have made myself clearer and I apologize. I wish Savage would make a bull barrel rifle again in 7mm Rem mag or 300 win mag like the old Savage Tactical rifles (pre-accu trigger days) in the late 90’s early 2000’s maybe?

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I bet those bull-barrel Savages are tack-drivers in any caliber.

Seems that they would be reserved for use at a shooting bench and/or deer condo with a 26" heavy barrel, and weighing almost 10 lbs once they get loaded up with a scope, ammo, sling, etc.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I really like the Weatherby Vanguard I bought earlier this summer. 24” barrel.

The Ruger American’s are nice too, I’ve got one in .243, but fit and finish on the Vanguard is just a little better.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I have a Winchester Model 70 in a 308 and 243 that will shoot about anything you feed it, and the fit and finish is what you pay for....they all will shoot bug holes, made with the latest CRC machinery today, so whatever floats you boat I guess.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I really like the Weatherby Vanguard I bought earlier this summer. 24” barrel.

The Ruger American’s are nice too, I’ve got one in .243, but fit and finish on the Vanguard is just a little better.

I bought a used weatherby vanguard in 25-06 a couple months ago and feel the same way. It “feels” higher quality. Shoots pretty good too.

But I am fan of those entry level bargains offered by savage and ruger as well. They shoot just as good.