Signs of spring

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Scouted SC .WMA today.seems like they still in flocks.never found any strutting marks. When we found tracks and sign it was a lot. Still fresh burns going on.It was windy and cold heard one gobble at a crow around 10. Didn't arrive in time.to listen for roost gobbling as I.wanted to look first after the rain. I'm wore out.lol. got.to get back in walking shape .

SM270

Ten Pointer
Checked 2 places this morning not a single gobble. Saw some scratching but not a bird or gobble between either place.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Scouted SC .WMA today.seems like they still in flocks.never found any strutting marks. When we found tracks and sign it was a lot. Still fresh burns going on.It was windy and cold heard one gobble at a crow around 10. Didn't arrive in time.to listen for roost gobbling as I.wanted to look first after the rain. I'm wore out.lol. got.to get back in walking shape .
Burning state land or natnl forest? I was down in Sumter at several spots didn't see any last wknd

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The ugly swamp holes I hunt would hold little appeal for someone that owns dirt in NC Turkey Heaven- Rockingham County. :)
I have considered buying some land down that way but you are right...... it is hard to beat Rockingham County.
No rattlesnakes or cotton mouths, no mosquitoes, never really hot during the Spring..... and I got more turkeys.😁

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
pee dee swamp land ain't for folks who can't take a turkey arse whoopin',,, that's for sure,,, the ba'stards!
Yep. I struggle with these "flat land" birds a lot more than with piedmont birds. Some years, if it were not for my Warren County connection, I'd be eating tag soup even with three 200 acre coastal plain tracts that hold birds at my disposal.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Yep. I struggle with these "flat land" birds a lot more than with piedmont birds. Some years, if it were not for my Warren County connection, I'd be eating tag soup even with three 200 acre coastal plain tracts that hold birds at my disposal.
a blind in the middle of the action could be your friend.
laying in a canal in the middle of a 360 acre field is not recommended. :)

Reactions: jug

Thutty-thutty

Eight Pointer
These Jakes better watch out I won’t discriminate, especially for that 1st bird of the year. Big question is will they hang around 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 79D077BF-0627-4B28-94B4-15816ADD1139.jpeg
    79D077BF-0627-4B28-94B4-15816ADD1139.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 2664C490-57A2-4122-81A0-8EEFC9B9A4E1.jpeg
    2664C490-57A2-4122-81A0-8EEFC9B9A4E1.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 9
  • C374D2FF-ACF8-49FF-89AC-45AF5E41BA6F.jpeg
    C374D2FF-ACF8-49FF-89AC-45AF5E41BA6F.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 11
  • B9C1DD5A-C70F-40B3-B38F-35EEC7EFA1F7.jpeg
    B9C1DD5A-C70F-40B3-B38F-35EEC7EFA1F7.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 11

Bb3camps

Button Buck
For about the last couple weeks, I have been noticing that geese are pairing up

Last Saturday up in Virginia I heard my first dove mating call.

This week down in Georgia I saw my first daffodils blooming.

We are on the upswing…
Blooming here in blowing rock also but Mother Nature is gonna get mad tonight. 18 is what they saying

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
1679324552649.png
He probably wishes he was a lonesome Tom this morning. I saw a nice mature gobbler with a bum leg with three hens in the yard yesterday. He had a flight feather sticking out as well, kinda sad that he's already that banged up this early in the season.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
View attachment 112743
He probably wishes he was a lonesome Tom this morning. I saw a nice mature gobbler with a bum leg with three hens in the yard yesterday. He had a flight feather sticking out as well, kinda sad that he's already that banged up this early in the season.
It'll all settle down in week or so most pecking order will be established for spring. Birds can be real fighters seen few dandy ones. I've seen fair amt with bad legs in person and on videos always wondered how many were from bad shots Vs fights/ predators