Signs of spring

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I have some really inventive youngsters that love to aggravate me with their fish and hunt tales. I cant imagine why they delight in tweaking me but they do. :)
Their latest creation was yesterday when they sent a video with angler A displaying a bass describing how many they had caught and his speech was interrupted by some hellacious gobbling. "What was that'? he allows grinning like a possum.

Supposedly 4 gobblers were displaying on the bank. Gobbling away. Both of these were trained by my father in the art of tale telling so who knows what the situation really was.
Signs of Spring indeed. Midweek madness on the fish and turkeys. and i am stuck not playing.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I saw two great big gobblers out feeding in a field during the rain this morning up in Alamance. It did my heart good.

Jim

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Had a dozen turkeys behind the house this afternoon around 3:15. They were gone by the time I got the camera ready & dug the binoculars out of my turkey vest. First time I've seen them here since October. (y)

Jim

JD1107

Did some scouting this morning. First property I pulled into I found a Tom still on the limb at 8:20. Sat and watched him fly down. Did some walking and put a few cameras out. As I was leaving I look across the cutover and find three more birds still on the limb at 9. Move down to another farm and as I was leaving I spot a flock of 12 hens and a Tom. Tom was young but had a nice group of hens with him and one was toting a nice beard. Saw probably 30 turkeys total this morning out feeding in the fields after all the rain we’ve had.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Old man winter showed himself up here, still been very mild

I have two forsythia bushes in my yard, buds are swollen and my iris and daffodils have peeked out of the ground

KrisB

Ten Pointer
The dandelions and wild lettuces and such are popping up again. I'd personally like for the weather to pick a season and stick with it, preferably winter until March! This warm spell, cold snap stuff is not fun.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
. I'd personally like for the weather to pick a season and stick with it,

not likely in NC Miss Kris. We are the state of 9 or 10 seasons. Wish I knew where that meme was that told them all. Maybe 1 of our other clowns will post it.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a pair of geese in nesting mode in the local pond today.

My blueberries are about to completely open up in blooms - just in time for the inevitable cold snaps.....

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
2 gobblers strutting for three hens at work. They were kinds enough to gobble even though they were awful wet.
That head going white when i started calling was beautiful. Displaying like it was april.
Now that's a real nice sign of spring on a rainy day. :)

SM270

Ten Pointer
Worried this warm weather we are having is going to put a damper on season when it gets here. What is everyone’s thoughts?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Worried this warm weather we are having is going to put a damper on season when it gets here. What is everyone’s thoughts?
we'll have in NC a record season in reported kills which will mask any weather impacts. That is my thought.
All the early gobbling folks are hearing should have us dead on the turkeys when they are fair game.
With many school systems out for the week during youth week the turkeys will fall like flies.
Gobbling is not needed at all to kill one so even if they were "gobbled out" and the breeding was "over", they would still be killed by our new deadly tactics requiring no response from the gobbler other than walking up.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
they would still be killed by our new deadly tactics requiring no response from the gobbler other than walking up.

well since a little less than 1 in 4ish hunters (60k+ hunters killing 17-18kish turkeys) kill a turkey (less than that, since many turkeys are killed by "two bird" takers),,,,can't be that deadly of methods out there,,,

heck 400+K ish deer hunters kill 140+k deer,,,,deer must be dumber and even easier to kill than turkeys!!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well since a little less than 1 in 4ish hunters (60k+ hunters killing 17-18kish turkeys) kill a turkey (less than that, since many turkeys are killed by "two bird" takers),,,,can't be that deadly of methods out there,,,

heck 400+K ish deer hunters kill 140+k deer,,,,deer must be dumber and even easier to kill than turkeys!!
well when 3 yr olds are hammering them with the new methods I'll stick to calling them deadly.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Oh no doubt

but if i start discussing 3 year olds totin shotguns I’ll piss people off
Go ahead, won't piss 'em off that bad. Besides it can't be any worse than the ones that claim 'puter illiteracy yet they hover over real time reporting waiting for the next point to click off like the old stock brokers used to watch the ticker tapes.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
Can tell deer season is over. A lot of y'all are having finger pull withdraws. Need see something shot, skint, and cooked ;)

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Don't worry about a thing. Just like males of any species they are ready way before the hens are. The hens decide when and if any hanky panky is going to occur. It's actually best for the flock if the majority of breeding is done before the season starts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone seen wild Easter flowers bloomed someone said they were out in wake forest area. Little early firvround here but with this crazy warm weather I could see it.