Signs of spring

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
pulled up alongside a yard bird this morning and couldn't get him to gobble. must not be ready yet because surely it wasn't my calling.....

KrisB

Ten Pointer
The only consolation I have when small game season ends on February 29 is that in early March we'll find out if we were drawn for any of the turkey permit hunts we put in for!

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
scouting some WMAs down here in GA near where my team works,,,,some sign,,,,now to check another,,,

cause I smell a GA turkey hunt aligned with work travels (yeah,,,my job sucks!!! :D)
I hear some Ga areas are making comeback as far as population nothing like hitting a pocket where good hatch was 2 years ago. And yup I need job like yours

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
The only consolation I have when small game season ends on February 29 is that in early March we'll find out if we were drawn for any of the turkey permit hunts we put in for!
I'd be right there with ya if I could get drawn for couple my luck hadn't been best in them but I got backup plans gonna trade some mtn time for flatland time

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I need to hit the lottery...this work thing is getting in the way of turkey hunting and squirrel dogs...but I am due to hit a good draw hunt this year.
Did you apologize to whom ever in NCWRC you ticked off yet.😁 when I look at your track record on draws I can't complain.

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Six paintbrushes this morning at the local airport. 2 1/2 more months.....

Attachments

• 569C74B4-AC3B-4E7D-8178-4CAD5DE6BF9A.jpeg
    569C74B4-AC3B-4E7D-8178-4CAD5DE6BF9A.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 34

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
d628863377ec168dab6600654ac9dba7.jpg

Hoping to hear a symphony this spring from these guys. Gobbling has been weak on this property for the past 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sp8

Ten Pointer
Took dog out this morning and heard hens clucking in our woods and 2 gobbles across the road.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
any of you fortunate enough to be close to some on the roost should hear plenty of "signs of spring" the next three mornings.
Keep us posted. :D

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's it. It's official - here's the word, straight from Gobbler's Knob in Punxsutawney.

At sunrise on Groundhog Day, members of Punxsutawney Phil's top hat-wearing inner circle revealed the groundhog declared: “Spring will be early, it's a certainty.”

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
While you're killing time waiting for the true spring sport you should venture out to a pond this week and take advantage of the intense green trout action available during this "hot spell."
They will be up and eating. They'll bite anything but baits that can stay in the upper water column will do wonders.
Old school mepps spinners are at their best if the pond has sparse cover.
Spinnerbaits, chatter baits will be great if there is even a hint of wind.
But you can leave them all at home and cruise around with a NED rig with a finesse TRD trailer. I recommend a 1/16th head. It'll outcatch anything else you might throw.

This is my second favorite "sign of spring" :)
Yesterday was pretty good but as the water gets warmer it will really shine this week.
Big Ones too.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Signs of spring = spending $$

Last week purchased a new leafy suit

Mine is pretty torn up, and a bit faded, but I figured the turkeys can't tell. It's already shredded, so I may just see how long I can make this one last before it's falling off of me.

You need to have some gear that's old. If you replace ALL of that old worn out stuff, you might lose the turkey killin' mojo.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Peach tree is starting to bloom in Forsyth County, crazy oriental cherry has been blooming on and off all winter.