Sighting in a red dot on crossbow.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've never sighted in a red dot scope and need to advise on how to sight in the scope on an older cross bow I picked up. Sighted in plenty of scopes but never a red dot.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Sighting in the red dot shouldn't be much different than sighting in any scope. Take some shots and adjust accordingly based on the instructions and adjustment knobs. The biggest thing with a crossbow is you'll have to decide what distance to sight it in at and then practice at farther ranges to get your hold over. Also keep in mind that in general red dots aren't as precise as a crosshair scopes. They are typically 2-5 MOA on accuracy but at the distances you should be using a crossbow at, that should not make much of a difference other than you may not see as tight of groupings as you are used to.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Sight in top dot at the distance you want to start 10 -20 yards and the other 2 dots should follow seut

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sight in top dot at the distance you want to start 10 -20 yards and the other 2 dots should follow seut
Agreed. If it has multiple dots, I would adjust the top one for 20 yards. You'll then need to figure out where the others are by shooting at longer distances. If it was designed for a crossbow, you should find they are about 10 yards apart.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The one ive got is a single dot
In that case, what nhn2a said is exactly correct. But, you would really be better off to replace that with a red dot or scope designed for a crossbow (multiple dots or crosshairs). The single dot is better for a handgun or shotgun.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I have 3 red dots on mine. Works out for 25 35 45. Heck my wife ain’t never shot a gun in her life, but managed to hit the bullseye at 45 the other day.