Sighting in a Marlin Model 60 .22 ????

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was going to put a new scope on my .22 and have tried 2---3-9x40 scopes and 3 different brands of ammo. No matter what I can not get it no closer than 3 inches low and 2 inches right at 50 yards. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I have adjusted mounts, even took them completely off and put them back on. Same thing!!

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Center your scope cross hairs using a mirror. Look up this on YouTube or google if you're not familiar with the method. Try a different or brand new set of scope mounts.

<>< Fish

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Am I to understand you're running out of scope adjustment before achieving a zero?

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The likely cause is something amiss with your mounts or it could be the dovetail groove on your receiver being out of alignment with the barrel.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Center your crosshairs in the scope and adjust your mounts by shimming if trading out the front and back didn't fix the problem. It's hardly ever the scope that's the problem that you describe and you should never have to adjust your scope more than just a few clicks here and there if the mounts are properly installed.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
The 7 to 8lb triggers in most of these rifles dont help. I would ditch the dovetail rings and get a dovetail to picatinny adapter. You can find them all over Ebay or Amazon. The kind that have at least 3 screw clamps on the rail...use locktite on the rings. Then invest in set of MCarbo trigger springs or a DIP trigger. Then you'll be shooting nickel size groups at 50yds with good ammo

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks guys. This is the first time I have ever had trouble sighting in a rifle. I will try the advice given and fiddle with it until I get it right. Will let you all know what happens.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you do go the shim route you don't have to buy them. Cut them out of thick plastic, in fact like the thick plastic like the rings were packaged in or a drink bottle.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I made some shims out of the thick cardboard off a composition book about 15 years ago and they are stilling true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk