Sierra TGK ,,"Gamechanger"

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Has anyone here used this in a .270 Winchester? I'm wondering about performance on game. I preferred the original SGK, but the TGK is a completely different design. I didn't handload because the Federal Premium with the 130 grain SGK was hard to beat. I tried. Any info on factory loaded or hand loads welcome. As of now I have been using the Winchester 130 grain Extreme Point they shoot good but I'm not sold on them with on game performance. I might just try another cup and core. Never really cared for Winchester SP or Remington Cor-Lokt in the Win .270. Every time I tried a different or newer bullet, I always went back to the SGK. It was tried and true and used them for several decades.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
They are a hard lead, thick jacketed cup and core. They shoot well in anything I’ve shot them in and will produce a standard mushroom. They’re much harder than the eldx, but not bonded like an accubond or Speer impact. If you’re going to handload, you can still get SGKs and load them. The TGKs main goal was improving BC in a traditionally performing projectile terminally speaking.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
They are a hard lead, thick jacketed cup and core. They shoot well in anything I’ve shot them in and will produce a standard mushroom. They’re much harder than the eldx, but not bonded like an accubond or Speer impact. If you’re going to handload, you can still get SGKs and load them. The TGKs main goal was improving BC in a traditionally performing projectile terminally speaking.
Cool, for some reason I thought the SGK bullets were discontinued. I have a few and loaded some today. I loaded them over 63.8 grains of Accurate Mag Pro. I had some loads referenced with a max load being 65 grains. I was showing some pressure signs so I backed off. I know the load is fine for my bolt gun, but after looking at the Hodgdon /Accurate for the Sierra SP loads for Mag Pro which max was 63.7 grains. I'm thinking about not shooting them, at least not in my Remington 7400. I even scratched my head a little when I saw the max load for the Barnes TSX 130 grain was 65.5 grains. I used Mag Pro because I had some that I had no other use for.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Don’t know anything about them, but it’s tough to beat an accubond in 270. If you can get some, you’ll be pleased with performance on deer.

Reactions: DRS

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Cool, for some reason I thought the SGK bullets were discontinued. I have a few and loaded some today. I loaded them over 63.8 grains of Accurate Mag Pro. I had some loads referenced with a max load being 65 grains. I was showing some pressure signs so I backed off. I know the load is fine for my bolt gun, but after looking at the Hodgdon /Accurate for the Sierra SP loads for Mag Pro which max was 63.7 grains. I'm thinking about not shooting them, at least not in my Remington 7400. I even scratched my head a little when I saw the max load for the Barnes TSX 130 grain was 65.5 grains. I used Mag Pro because I had some that I had no other use for.
Whether to shoot them or not is up to you. Most every load I have worked up for my rifles are above book max. I’ll actually start at max most of the time to check for pressure signs, and if good just go from there. But yeah, SGKs are still being made.

Randy

Ten Pointer
I’ve gotten pretty good results with 130 Sierras and 55 gr IMR 4350 in 270s. But I just seem to like Hornadys a little better.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The loads shot ok in my 700 but they are little to hot for me to be comfortable shooting them in the 7400. They stayed a little under 2 moa out to 300 yards. Didn't chronograph the loads, killed another chronograph with they Winchester XP first shot. 15' it clocked the shot at 2926 fps. Both loads had the same trajectory so I'm going to say both have close to the same MV. Both have 22" barrels. Could find any SGK bullets on my trusted sights. I did how ever did order some 130 grain Speer Hot-Cor and Winchester StaBall 6.5 powder to give it a whirl. Gonna work a load up for the Remington 7400, sometime before Fall I hope. The 7400 did keep the group of 4 shots of the Win. 130 grain XP Extreme Points a hair under 1.5 moa out to 320 yards.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Wanted to add I bought a case of Federal Fusion a couple years ago to try. Neither, my Remington 700 ADL or 7400 likes them .

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
The loads shot ok in my 700 but they are little to hot for me to be comfortable shooting them in the 7400. They stayed a little under 2 moa out to 300 yards. Didn't chronograph the loads, killed another chronograph with they Winchester XP first shot. 15' it clocked the shot at 2926 fps. Both loads had the same trajectory so I'm going to say both have close to the same MV. Both have 22" barrels. Could find any SGK bullets on my trusted sights. I did how ever did order some 130 grain Speer Hot-Cor and Winchester StaBall 6.5 powder to give it a whirl. Gonna work a load up for the Remington 7400, sometime before Fall I hope. The 7400 did keep the group of 4 shots of the Win. 130 grain XP Extreme Points a hair under 1.5 moa out to 320 yards.
Them hot cores have proven very soft for me. Only shot them out of my .243 but it performs like a varmint bullet.

Tgk has been good to me but I’ve not tried it in my .270

Raging Bull

Four Pointer
I have found them to be a little finicky to load. But performance on deer was what I expected. They work well but probably better bullets on the market.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A friend of mine tried them in his .270 Wby Mag. As mentioned above, they were rather temperamental to load. Performance was adequate on deer, but not exceptional.

He used them for one season before swapping to the Nosler Accubond.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Tried factory in both 308 and 270, neither shot well. If you want to try another cup and core I’ve been extremely happy with federal fusions in both calibers, relatively cheap and shoot as well as anything else I tried. Have never been disappointed in any of the deer I shot with them.

Dean

Button Buck
Ive shot factory gamechanger ammo in several of my rifles, every gun ive tried the stuff in (223, 243, 308) shoots it extremely well. And ive used all 3 calibers on game (just a couple bears and several coyotes so far) and they kill just fine. At this point i only have 3 bolt action rifles that im actually hunting with anymore, and i use the gamechanger ammo in all of them.