Side Gigs

Apike524

Spike
Saw a lot of post recently about money. I was interested to see if anyone had any side gigs they did for extra hunting/spending money. If so, what are some side gigs y'all ventured in?

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
I did driveway sealing, little different up here as we have asphalt driveways compared to warmer places that have cement. When i knew i had some time to do the work, a week or two before i spent a few $$ and had flyers delivered to a section of homes within a community - making sure no apartments were included. Send out 1000 flyers for about $100, get 5 jobs out of it - which normally turned into 20 once i started work, put out the signs and they saw the fresh new look.
Didn't make me huge money, but paid for a few trips, gave my son a summer job and helped out at tax time. Can do the same with cement sealing of driveways, work a couple of days a week for pocket money

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Landscaper, painter, auto mechanic, appliance repairman, carpenter, electrician, plumber, and house cleaner are some of my side gigs. None of them are paid positions but they save me a lot of money for hunting.

The closest I came to a paid side gig was selling pressure washing chemicals to companies that are in that business. My brother has his own business back in PA and he wanted me to open one here.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone wanting to learn a side gig, something that's easy to do, yet tough to find people to do it - burnishing floors, stripping and waxing, learn how to dance with a buffer with a hogs hair pad and make that floor shine

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Log cabin repair work. its what my dad did for a living and what i did before i went back to college and through college. Do a few repair jobs a year, latex chinking and concrete chinking. there's enough around to keep me as busy as i want not enough to do it full time without some travel (which we use to do).

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
In the past I did tree services, landscaping, hauling, gunshows, sporting goods, gun sales at local shops, restaurant work, catering and maybe a few more side.gigs.

Still help out in the gun shops from time to time. Most as a consultant on military firearms and smithing.

Anything with guns was the most fun.
But remember guns... they sell the most Aug to December. Hard to get off to hunt.
Catering was also fun and good money. Could work a weekend or Friday and Sat and make a weeks wages.

Aside from guns, tree service was fun,.hard work, educational in several ways from equipment repair, made you think and plan, and gave me something that during Fran I was able to help friends, make some money, help the public.
Cleared a many of roads, helped EMS, LEO and first responders free of charge and had fun in a really bad time.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Financial investing in my own portfolio. Have money working for you while you work a day job. I'm also looking to purchase an investment property this year to flip or rent, probably rent. Again, having your money work for you. That'll be a few months of renovations and sweat equity but it'll keep me out of the bars, so it'll be less money out and more money in.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wouldn’t call it a side gig.... more like a 2nd full time job.

We raise cattle. Usually have 70-75 calves a year that we sell. We’re fixing to have a heavy turn over year. ~1/3 of of our Mama cows will be replaced this Spring so no $$$$ this year....lol!

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
We have a rover profile and watch dogs. Easy enough, and since I have two of my own and a fully fenced backyard, and I walk mine everyday anyway.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
How far will you travel....and are you insured?

20-30miles and no.... but then again, I don’t do hazardous work. Good question though. I always tell anyone up front that it’s for fun money, and I don’t want to feel pressured to meet the premium on a given year. I’ve only been turned away twice, and don’t fault them for it.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Bar tended catering gigs for a while when younger. Mostly weddings and events at Duke. Had several different companies I did it for. Kids keep me busy now when not at day job.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I buy and sell used or new goods. Mostly sporting goods type stuff but also anything I can make $$$ of of. I love going to the habitat store and scoring "junk" that I can make 10x ROI

I'm right there with you. I do a little of this and a little if that, but this right here is still about the most satisfying.

I guess the main reason is, when I was going through school, and broke, I studied up on A Lot of things. One being maker's marks and purity marks.

Within a couple weeks of each other... I bought a Sterling silver John Millward Banks Hot Milk Pot, made in Chester, England, 1902 for $12.75. Immaculate piece. Wanted to keep it, needed the money, sold it for over $250 iirc.... Then I found a 1911 Sterling silver candy dish for 50 cents. Sold it for $211.

I made a lot of money selling other antiques but, finally got to a place of financial peace, now hunt mostly for keeping and using. The contents of our kitchen cabinets, would rival anybody's grandparents. Lol.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Used to mow a bunch of yards.......down to 1 remaining....pays 100 bucks takes 1.5 hours....no weed eating no spraying......mow and go....pays my hunting dues......

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
I'm right there with you. I do a little of this and a little if that, but this right here is still about the most satisfying.

I guess the main reason is, when I was going through school, and broke, I studied up on A Lot of things. One being maker's marks and purity marks.

Within a couple weeks of each other... I bought a Sterling silver John Millward Banks Hot Milk Pot, made in Chester, England, 1902 for $12.75. Immaculate piece. Wanted to keep it, needed the money, sold it for over $250 iirc.... Then I found a 1911 Sterling silver candy dish for 50 cents. Sold it for $211.

I made a lot of money selling other antiques but, finally got to a place of financial peace, now hunt mostly for keeping and using. The contents of our kitchen cabinets, would rival anybody's grandparents. Lol.
Where do you look for most of your antiques/junk, flea markets, yard sales?