Shrimp dying

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Came to the beach hoping to catch some trout on live shrimp. 2 days I've had shrimp and both days they have been dead the next morning. Never had this issue before, changed buckets, new aerator batteries. No idea what's going on.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When using live shrimp at Masonboro Inlet, we had to change the water about every 30 minutes, in spite of it being aeriated. They are some nasty critters.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Flow troll buckets are the best option, but you have to be on the water obviously. A couple weeks ago we were catching about 100 shrimp in the evening and splitting them between 2 flow troll buckets for the next day's fishing. Even then 20% died.

In an aerated bucket, I would go with a bigger bucket and figure out a way to cool the water down. Cooler water holds more oxygen. More water dilutes waste. 5 gallon bucket with a couple of frozen water bottles, and swap them out the next morning? Worth a shot.

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
In an aerated bucket, I would go with a bigger bucket and figure out a way to cool the water down. Cooler water holds more oxygen. More water dilutes waste. 5 gallon bucket with a couple of frozen water bottles, and swap them out the next morning? Worth a shot.
This has worked for me when it has been really hot. Take the buckets inside into AC as well at night/when not using.

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Update, bought a 19qt Engel bait cooler. Took a frozen container of water AND put them in the fridge.....all alive this morning. Unfortunately fishing was crap, only one nice run on a fish I worked too hard to keep from under a dock and lost him