Shows & Schools

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Today I went to the Bass & Saltwater Fishing Expo at the State Fairgrounds in Raleigh. Based on the crowds, it seems like most of you did as well. I am more interested in kayak fishing right now. They had one kayak there, and it was $4,700! The guy selling it was out of Topsail/Carolina Beach/Cape Fear area, Capt. Jerry Dilsaver; I expect some of you know him. He did an hour long talk that was great. I recorded it and will play it back and take notes.

I might be looking to upgrade my Ascend 12T to something with a pedal drive, and I wanted to see what was out there. Are any of you aware of any shows where there would be a significant kayak offering?

thandy

Ten Pointer
I live well west of you but we have an awesome place that does demo days about once a month during the summer. You might check with Great Outdoor Provision in Raleigh to see if they are going to have any demo days. I already have a one vibe, but I plan on getting the Vibe Shearwater once it comes out. $1299.99 for the kayak the $499.99 for the pedal drive, uses the old Hobie drive system. All the testing reviews so far have been great and to get a good pedal for under $2 grand sounds like a deal to me.

thandy

Ten Pointer
The seat folds down and has a standing perch, not something I will be using a lot at 270lbs but I would guess it would have to be super stable to even consider adding something like that. I think it raises you 14 inches off the floor of the kayak and 16 inches above the water level.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Today I went to the Bass & Saltwater Fishing Expo at the State Fairgrounds in Raleigh. Based on the crowds, it seems like most of you did as well. I am more interested in kayak fishing right now. They had one kayak there, and it was $4,700! The guy selling it was out of Topsail/Carolina Beach/Cape Fear area, Capt. Jerry Dilsaver; I expect some of you know him. He did an hour long talk that was great. I recorded it and will play it back and take notes.

I might be looking to upgrade my Ascend 12T to something with a pedal drive, and I wanted to see what was out there. Are any of you aware of any shows where there would be a significant kayak offering?
Its been a few years since I've seen Jerry but he taught my wife (5'2") how to throw a 12 foot (24' Circumference) cast net for Pogies. He was working at New Bern Net at the time and many years later when we would run into him at a show or class he would ask my wife to come demonstrate how easy it was to throw a net in front of a bunch of guys. It was hilarious cause nobody wanted to come try until after my wife had left. I would tell guys she was better at catching bait than driving the boat for me which kept me dry. He taught me more about king fishing in a few hours of chatting than I could have learned in a lifetime. I have days of stories about him but suffice it to say this he has constantly wanted to be the cutting edge of new fishing techniques (or invented them) and he got into the kayak movement early and I would take any advice he gave. @Mack in N.C. could probably help with some recommendations as well.