Shoulder Woe's

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I have a frozen clavicle. It is frozen at the sternum, which does not allow my shoulder to rotate as it should. The entire shoulder girdle on my right side is tight. I have managed to deal with the pain for years, deep tissue massages, physical therapy, etc., but now I can hardly even draw my bow.

I cannot decide if I want to sell my bow and buy a crossbow, or if I want to just give up on archery season and wait until muzzle loader season. I hate to hunt when it is 80° or hotter, and I hate mosquito's.

Getting older sux!!

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I have a frozen clavicle. It is frozen at the sternum, which does not allow my shoulder to rotate as it should. The entire shoulder girdle on my right side is tight. I have managed to deal with the pain for years, deep tissue massages, physical therapy, etc., but now I can hardly even draw my bow.

I cannot decide if I want to sell my bow and buy a crossbow, or if I want to just give up on archery season and wait until muzzle loader season. I hate to hunt when it is 80° or hotter, and I hate mosquito's.

Getting older sux!!

That's what I've done Phil. Bought a crossbow and didn't look back.

After all a crossbow is still archery equipment. That's debatable but is still a stick and string.

The heat , as I've aged the heat just makes not as enjoyable.

This coming season my bow hunting trips will be predicated on the temps.

The silver lining to that cloud is the lease gets less pressure.

slugoo

Eight Pointer
No shame in a crossbow. It's not like you can shoot any farther or anything. Only advantage you gain is that you don't have to draw back right as you spot a deer. The only disadvantage is that you get only one shot (not any different from normal) and they are just plain heavy.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
never bow hunted but just purchased a xbow and just look forward to getting out more. the box stand helps too. 😁

Dan Apple

Old Mossy Horns

Getting older sux!!

I have 2 Xbows..... If you want to try it let me know and I'll bring one of them up next time we have a work day.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Crossbow shooter since 2009 due to a 2007 shoulder injury. They're definitely bulkier than a conventional bow, but having a scope and not having to hold draw makes crossbows easy to hunt with. It was so nice getting back in the woods during bow season when I figured my days of hunting that time of year were over.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Jim

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Got to get you a crossbow, if you dont we will have a record cold snap come September and you will wish you was in the stand

I have been dealing with Bursitis frequently in my shoulder for almost 3 years now. I am going to be shooting my bow on this Wednesday for the first time in a year (had to stop due to pain in shoulder and pregnancy). I wish that there was some kind of stretch or exercises to help with the pain. I am more than likely still going to shoot my compound bow this season and then I may consider getting a crossbow if the pain worsens. Not sure yet. Best of luck to you and your pain relief!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
For me it was the repetitive movement of drawing my bow repeatedly during practice as well as the fact that once I'd sat for hours in the cold I never knew if my shoulder was going to let me draw when the time came that finally was the last straw.
I never tried one of the more recent bows. I understand that they may be easier and smoother to draw with their lower draw weight and larger cams. But I enjoy the season so I'll stick with the crossbow.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I hate people that think they know it all.

I have been killing dear with a bow since most of you were still shitting in your pants. IT is not how I draw my bow.
That was a general statement not concerning your desire to go crossbow. When I get to the point I can’t draw a bow I might hunt with a crossbow also. I say this because I constantly see folks struggle to draw a bow. It’s not because they are not strong enough. It’s because their drawing technique is far incorrect and they seem to be trying to muscle it back. It hurts my shoulder tremendously to try and draw my smooth 60# bow back incorrectly. Hurts bad. If your drawing with your draw elbow lower than your shoulder you are destroying your shoulder.
just trying to save a man some grief and shoulder pain. I’ve seen folks with no arms vertical bow hunt. It’s not the weapon it’s how you use it. A friend older gentleman I greatly respect has been a killer his whole life with a recurve and compound. Guess what he shoots now? A cross bow. I don’t care or respect him anymore or less. Same as a .300win mag or a .22lr. Flintlock, modern muzzleloader.
You can take the advantages or disadvantages. I don’t and won’t hunt with a recurve.
It wasn’t a personal jab at you. More of a general statement sharing that drawing a bow can and will cause permanent damage to where you can no longer use your shoulder in a fashion you may used to have.
cheers.
and yes I’m hotheaded.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Diagnosed with SLAP 2 months ago. About to start PT in the hopes of avoiding surgery (unlikely). Drew my bow (65lbs, 80% let off) once in the garage. Winced and put it back.
I’m not anti-crossbow, but it’s just not for me.

But it might be. LOL

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The biggest lesson for me to learn was that you don't have to shoot 100 arrows every afternoon. These days I focus on shooting 10-20 with good form and accuracy....
.Fox1.jpg

Last edited:

82ndAirborneVet

Four Pointer
Good to know you I am not alone.. I have been facing this issue for the last 6 years. I Bow hunted all season long with my bow until I reinjured my shoulder that I hurt in the Army and I just do not want to get surgery. Have been looking at crossbows but I just did not know if I would like it as much. I just love the challenge of bow hunting. Even a doe at 10-15 yards will get your heart racing like a buck.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I’m not missing archery season!! I will shoot a compound until I can’t pull one back and then get a crossbow.
It may be hot during archery season, but there is less pressure and early season deer are easier to pattern.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I’m not missing archery season!! I will shoot a compound until I can’t pull one back and then get a crossbow.
It may be hot during archery season, but there is less pressure and early season deer are easier to pattern.

why I hunt SC in August!! (y)

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I quit shooting my compound when I ran short on time in the summer to shoot. It’s that simple. I got the xbow because I love archery hunting but couldn’t keep up my shooting regimen to make me feel confident.

The crossbow has a lot of drawbacks, but its best attribute is accuracy and repeatability.

You will like hunting with one. Just handle a LOT of them before you buy one.
Or buy one for $350 now til you figure if you like it or not.