Shoulder immobilizer question

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Had shoulder surgery a week back. The sling has made my lat (upper back) so sore that it's hard to even sit down with a back rest. A heating pad helped, but just a bit. Anybody gone through this and have advice?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

samuelrp

Eight Pointer
A professional in the Drs. office should have fitted your sling ......... prior to surgery. Maybe they can help adjust it. You should not have that issue.

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Fitting a sling is pretty simple. What I'm experiencing is back muscle cramp due to the pressure of the sling on a particular spot.

TKL

Four Pointer
I could take my sling off and prop my arm on a pillow while I was sitting around after the 1st couple of days . I did do that every chance I got as I hated the sling!

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
If you're already going to PT I'd have them check out how the sling fits you. If you have a good one like I did they can be very helpful. And I'd do everything that he told me to do, and didn't do anything he told me not to do. I didn't have any such trouble with my sling and I only took it off to shower and I used an old necktie for a sling when I did. I ended up with two tears so I have two plastic screws in my shoulder but I am pain free with 95% range of mobility. You really should have it checked out before it causes more problems. Good luck.

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Thanks folks. Going back wed to get stitches out then Friday for my first PT. In definitely going to be following the or directions and will ask about the sling placement across my back then.

Also makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who sits on the couch with pillows and no sling. Unfortunately i completely agree that sleeping in a sling is necessary. Soon sleep will return..

I know I'm feeling better today because I drank a few beers when family came over. Taking it very easy still though and eating as healthy as I can.

Thanks for the help with the sling troubles.

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Hope you recover quickly. It is easy to overlook how important shoulders are to everyday life until there is a problem with one! I know I rarely thought about it until I had problem with one.