Should we be hunting a species thats "critically imperiled"?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Should the current disease outbreak make its way to the east coast, the Commission is concerned about its potential impact to native rabbit populations, particularly the Appalachian cottontail that is found only in the western part of the state at higher elevations. The Appalachian cottontail is a designated a species of concern by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and classified as vulnerable to critically imperiled throughout most of its range.

How long till the Appalachian cottontail is put on the endangered species list?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Locally abundant.
I’m certainly not the expert in rabbits but it was only recognized as distinct in 1992. It seems like it’s getting the USFWS designation because of its range. You see this all the time with species that have limited distribution or are at the edge of their range.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dang, you gonna beat this horse again.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Dang, you gonna beat this horse again.

That was hilarious reading.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
What if the Appalachian cottontail is the Red Wolf of the Rabbit World and was resulting of breeding an Eastern Cottontail with a New England Cottontail ? 😱

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Until some bunny hugger group gets a judge or the USFWS to declare it a protected species..

Still years later, still the NCWRC has no data on it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Until some bunny hugger group gets a judge or the USFWS to declare it a protected species..

Still years later, still the NCWRC has no data on it.
Use all your great contacts and collect some. I am sure if it was credible they would appreciate it.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Should your Uncle grow tits he would be your aunt! If a bullfrog had wings. I could go on and on about what ifs.

No your uncle is a Y chromosome that wants to be called Auntie. Not a result of breeding.

Now my ‘if’ has a very good theory because a crossbreed of rabbit is no different that crossbreeding cattle or dogs.

It’s a cross not a separate species. Rest my case... now let the hounds loose.