Should I send it back….

1stgenHunter

Six Pointer
or is this something that is normal and can be adjusted? I’m very new to archery and decided to take advantage of cyber Monday and upgrade from my crappy sanlida. I harvested two deer with it but after shooting a bear species EV at sportsman’s warehouse I knew I was seriously missing out.

I got the new Bear/THP collaboration solo cam “Adapt” which, from my understanding, is essentially a species EV with a limb stop and 2” longer ATA (plus a cooler color scheme lol). I figured the longer axle to axle would be advantageous should I decide to shoot at the local 3D course.

The bow arrived last night and after spending a few minutes enamored by it, I realized the string doesn’t ride perfectly in the groove of the lower cam. It almost appears as if the cam is slightly tweaked. After some brief research I believe that slight cam misalignment is fairly common and can be adjusted, but I am clueless about this stuff wanted to share my specific case and photos with you guys to get a second opinion before I take it to my guy to be set up and waste his time.

Attachments

• 2CD4F089-0C1D-4CD0-9F9F-E64E95ECACE7.jpeg
    2CD4F089-0C1D-4CD0-9F9F-E64E95ECACE7.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 2731261A-7586-4AA1-9441-A200B868F831.jpeg
    2731261A-7586-4AA1-9441-A200B868F831.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 09B1B11E-E4C2-403A-8B9F-7A9E21E9CD84.jpeg
    09B1B11E-E4C2-403A-8B9F-7A9E21E9CD84.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Without proper alignment that will cause premature wear on serving and string may even cause string to jump off especially when letting down from full draw. The problem could be a bent axle without putting on my press and getting the pressure off the bow and inspect the cam it’s really hard to tell

1stgenHunter

Six Pointer
Without proper alignment that will cause premature wear on serving and string may even cause string to jump off especially when letting down from full draw. The problem could be a bent axle without putting on my press and getting the pressure off the bow and inspect the cam it’s really hard to tell
If the problem is cam lean and not a bent axle is that something that is easily remedied? Not by me of course, but by my bow shop.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
It a single cam correct? If it doesn’t effect your tune don’t sweat it. It’s the design of the bow kinda… you can shim the bottom cam over. Try adjusting your cable slide. Maybe untwisting one of the cables. Really don’t worry about it. It’s not that bad.

1stgenHunter

Six Pointer
It a single cam correct? If it doesn’t effect your tune don’t sweat it. It’s the design of the bow kinda… you can shim the bottom cam over. Try adjusting your cable slide. Maybe untwisting one of the cables. Really don’t worry about it. It’s not that bad.
Yes single cam…I haven’t shot it yet since it came bare, so I don’t know if it would affect tune. I sent pics to the guy who works on my bow and he told me exactly the same thing you did. He’s confident it can be fixed and says he sees it a lot on bows in this price range. Thanks for the insight

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I promise it is not just that price range. The premium bows come with the same stuff from time to time. It can be a cam that needs to be shimmed, an axle, holes not perfectly in line for the axle. Lots of things it can be. Lots of times it is not a huge deal.

warhorse

Eight Pointer
I bought a new obsession in 2018 that had some pretty extreme cam lean on the top cam. I called obsession and got the shim kit, shimmed that top cam to where it was straight in line with the string. After paper tuning, I wound up putting it right back in the same configuration it came from the factory with. That's where it tuned the best. Been shooting that bow over 4 years and it still has the factory string cable set.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
or is this something that is normal and can be adjusted? I’m very new to archery and decided to take advantage of cyber Monday and upgrade from my crappy sanlida. I harvested two deer with it but after shooting a bear species EV at sportsman’s warehouse I knew I was seriously missing out.

I got the new Bear/THP collaboration solo cam “Adapt” which, from my understanding, is essentially a species EV with a limb stop and 2” longer ATA (plus a cooler color scheme lol). I figured the longer axle to axle would be advantageous should I decide to shoot at the local 3D course.

The bow arrived last night and after spending a few minutes enamored by it, I realized the string doesn’t ride perfectly in the groove of the lower cam. It almost appears as if the cam is slightly tweaked. After some brief research I believe that slight cam misalignment is fairly common and can be adjusted, but I am clueless about this stuff wanted to share my specific case and photos with you guys to get a second opinion before I take it to my guy to be set up and waste his time.
This is a perfect opportunity to get to know a good bow tech in your area. I'm sure the folks on here can steer you in the right direction. A good mechanic and a good bow tech are the only two things worth paying for....maybe add plumber to that list too. haha.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Being that it’s a one cam bow and the string moves across and around the cam unlike a dual cam bows string moves around the cam only. It needs a bit of lean to be properly in line at full draw. Take a pic of it as a relaxed grip full draw and look for cam’s orientation to square then.

Tar Heel Sportsman

Four Pointer
I used to be worried about cam lean on my Hoyt until I got it professionally tuned. After tuning, my cam lean was even more severe. I'm not sure on the technicality of everything, however, if it shoots fine I would not worry about it. if it is a concern, take it to a real deal professional and get them to look at it. Straightening the cams to where they are perfectly aligned could take you out of tune.

1stgenHunter

Six Pointer
Update: Brought it to my bow tech and it took him about 30 seconds to confirm what everyone here has been telling me - that’s it’s not a big deal and he’ll have it ready to go in no time. Big thanks to everyone for their advice, sure calmed my nerves a little lol

Tar Heel Sportsman

Four Pointer
Update: Brought it to my bow tech and it took him about 30 seconds to confirm what everyone here has been telling me - that’s it’s not a big deal and he’ll have it ready to go in no time. Big thanks to everyone for their advice, sure calmed my nerves a little lol
Awesome -- great to hear! Hope you can find some luck with it in the near future.