Shotgun reloading

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I got a Lee load-all 2 for Christmas to try my hand at loading shells for myself. It has its own load tables so that makes it easier (if they are correct). Question I have is where do most of y’all get your shot and supplies from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ballistic Products. I get my empty hulls from a guy in NY. There isn't a great deal of used market once once fired 3.5". But he seems to have the market cornered.

I cast my own buckshot, when you see the prices you will understand why.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I have not used my reloader in 25 years. It is packed up in the barn ready to go. I am not sure where you buy your reloading gear now days. I know the Neuse Sports Shop in Kinston carries supplies. I saw it but did not price check any of the supplies. I use to skeet shoot on Wed night and Sunday afternoon and reload during those times for skeet and for dove hunting back in the mid 80's.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Ballistic Products. I get my empty hulls from a guy in NY. There isn't a great deal of used market once once fired 3.5". But he seems to have the market cornered.

I cast my own buckshot, when you see the prices you will understand why.
NCC, what alloy are you using?
My best shooters were cast from 60% wheelweight X 40% pure lead flashing.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
NCC, what alloy are you using?
My best shooters were cast from 60% wheelweight X 40% pure lead flashing.
About 97% pure, 3% antimony. I chill mine straight out of the mold which gives them a little tougher skin.

I would love to use nickle plated but I am just too tight to pay $8. a pound for them. I am going to cast a batch of all wheel weights and see how they do just to see.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Primers and powder from gunshows. Wads will come from shops or ordered. Lead.....it is high as can be anywhere.

What are you wanting to load?

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
20ga. Bird shot

I hate to say this but you can BUY 20 ga #8 or 9 as cheap as you can load it and performance is equal. Which pains me to say...
I'm a high volume shotshell shooter, 15,000 or so rounds per year and haven't reloaded 12 or 20 in several years. The only savings left on the table are 28 and 410.....

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
20ga. Bird shot

I hate to say this but you can BUY 20 ga #8 or 9 as cheap as you can load it and performance is equal. Which pains me to say...
I'm a high volume shotshell shooter, 15,000 or so rounds per year and haven't reloaded 12 or 20 in several years. The only savings left on the table are 28 and 410.....

I figured as much when I wanted a loader. It’s just something I wanted to learn how to do. And I like shooting #6 for grouse and can’t always find it, because I always am lazy and wait till on almost out before I try to find some usually the day before I plan to go hunt

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I figured as much when I wanted a loader. It’s just something I wanted to learn how to do. And I like shooting #6 for grouse and can’t always find it, because I always am lazy and wait till on almost out before I try to find some usually the day before I plan to go hunt

#6 shot will most likely be tough to find and then you'll be forced to buy a 25# bag.... Easier/cheaper to buy loaded shells ahead of time....
Reloading shot shells is a relaxing and enjoyable hobby and I still load my 28's and 410's and it occupies my time and attention....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree with BB on the small shot. If it were not for the different loadings in buckshot I wouldn't be messing with it

shurshot

Ten Pointer
The best thing you will get from your reloader is the ability to “customize” your shells. If you want more payload, you can do it. If you want more speed, you can do it. If you want a combo of things, you can do it. Different wads, etc. throw different patterns. It’s fun to try different recipes and hit the patterning board. Eventually you’ll find a combination of gun and choke that you really like. But you must be very careful reloading and use only “published recipes”. There are many reloading forums that would welcome you. Shotgunworld might be one of the best. Duckhuntingchat and Refuge are a couple others. You can seach those forums for anything and find more helpful info archived than you’ll probably have time to read.

Good luck and have a little fun.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Depending on how heavy of a load, you should be able to save or break even with a 20 gauge.

I don’t own one and am not familiar with the loads.

You would have to load on the lighter side to see any savings. It would all boil down to lead price.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I get all my stuff from ballistics products. Where you can save money loading a 20 is the “high brass” loads. I’ve got a 12, 20 and 28 reloaded but the only one that sees action is the 28 but I do use the 12 and 20 for crimping my “specialty loads”. I’ve got some pretty stout loads for the 12 and 20 that’d cost $18-$20/box in the store.

Best thing is get you a Lyman Manuel. Every load/recipe you could imagine.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Don't get me wrong, there are still some loads that can be loaded cheaper than the commercial equivalent but you have to ask yourself if you really shoot enough of them to keep components on hand.
I recall when I first began loading shot shells in the late 60's and shot was 19.00 per bag, wads were 3.99 per thousand and primers were 6.99 per thousand and powders were in the 9 to 11.00 per pound range. THAT make reloading profitable but as we all know prices have gone through the roof and it no longer pays with most loads.
It can be a relaxing hobby and past time but beyond that........

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Don't get me wrong, there are still some loads that can be loaded cheaper than the commercial equivalent but you have to ask yourself if you really shoot enough of them to keep components on hand.
I recall when I first began loading shot shells in the late 60's and shot was 19.00 per bag, wads were 3.99 per thousand and primers were 6.99 per thousand and powders were in the 9 to 11.00 per pound range. THAT make reloading profitable but as we all know prices have gone through the roof and it no longer pays with most loads.
It can be a relaxing hobby and past time but beyond that........

566544FC-232F-4D8B-8247-5DA5EF47F5B0.jpeg

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
The best thing you will get from your reloader is the ability to “customize” your shells. If you want more payload, you can do it. If you want more speed, you can do it. If you want a combo of things, you can do it. .

yep!..and for quail and grouse a "spreader" to open quick...…...used to load them when my daughter was in Homeschool Shooting Club