Shotgun recommendations for my daughter

BJordan

Eight Pointer
Did a little shooting today. Gun had more recoil than I was expecting. Also realized I'm much better at teaching rifle and handgun than shotgun. I definitely need some help with her form/positioning. After a few shots she was done for the day. She does want to keep shooting it though. Going to try and practice a couple times a week.

Attachments

• received_567233977983644.jpeg
    received_567233977983644.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 14

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did a little shooting today. Gun had more recoil than I was expecting. Also realized I'm much better at teaching rifle and handgun than shotgun. I definitely need some help with her form/positioning. After a few shots she was done for the day. She does want to keep shooting it though. Going to try and practice a couple times a week.

feet in a good stance, elbow on trigger arm up, pad in pocket created by picking elbow up, opposite elbow up also, lean forward.

she'll get the hang of it and will enjoy it.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
The problem most youths initially have is they simply aren’t strong enough to hold the gun properly, thus lean “backwards” in an attempt to balance out the gun. Wrong form for sure. Sounds like the gun might be a little too big for her petite frame. I would seek out an instructor and let him evaluate her issue for now.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
Mossberg makes an auto loading 28 that I recently shot and I am very impressed with it. Just wish it had 28 or 30 inch barrel. I have a 28 gauge over under silver reserve that is a dove/ quail killing machine. 28’s are the new 20 in my opinion. Heck I was shooting my 28 years ago and some people didn’t even know what it was.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
feet in a good stance, elbow on trigger arm up, pad in pocket created by picking elbow up, opposite elbow up also, lean forward.

she'll get the hang of it and will enjoy it.
Beat me to it. Sound advice. I had gotten so used to the “low profile “ stance when doing drills with my AR, that when I picked up my shot gun for the first time last season, I forgot to keep that trigger arm elbow up and wore myself out lol. Makes a big difference.