Shotgun for a 9yo

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Looking for a shotgun or a matched pair for my 9yo. My first was an H&R 16 ga single shot. They’re out of business and you can’t find their Topper Jr for sale. I think he might be able to handle the youth 870, but I’ve heard quality issues recently. We might have to go to the store and let him hold some.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The H&R’s are easy pawn shop finds. Remington had a rough few years but the current production are good again. Dicks is clearing out the CVA 243/20 combos. You could also make a want to buy post in the classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
My daughter is borrowing a 410 but next year I'm going to get her a v3 remington compact 12 ga she will be 10 ..a 12 ga is way better for deer and 2and3/4 reduced recoil buckshot kick less than a 870 youth 20 ga with buckshot..and they come with shims to grow with them

John Henry

Six Pointer
this, get something they can hit a flying target with with little recoil

CZ makes a good little shotgun, and I'm sure there's others out there for less than $500. The Stouger is $600 or less and has a good reputation

Which CZ model are you referring to?

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got a 20 gauge mossberg 500 pump when i was 10. Sold it like an idiot when i was 17 but got the chance to buy it back in 2018. Its not going anywhere now. One fine shotgun for sure. That would be my pick
I bought one for $90 brand new with money I made on my paper route in 1977 when I was 13. I still have that gun. It is wore out and doesn't see the field much any more but the memories I made with that gun are priceless.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
O/U 20 gauge of just about any kind are gonna be front heavy and have less of a kick than a single shot. The turkish guns aren't bad and would be decent for a kid to grow with.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Get an auto. The recoil on youth shotguns are tough. I bought a recoil pad on amazon for the butt of my sons youth Mossberg and it took care of 75%+ of the recoil.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
If he were mine, he’d be getting a Mossberg 500. New production appears to still be good, but you can go to nearly any pawn shop and find a good quality older 20 or 12ga for around $300. In my experience, 9 times out of 10, starting on an auto or double barrel with the available rapid follow-up shots lead to poor fundamentals and wasted/poorly chosen shots. I also LOVE the old mossberg bolt actions, but they tend to be a bit heavy. It’s pretty easy to get them for $200 or less. It’s hard for me to justify the price tag on a lot of these new shotguns for someone just starting out. Start cheaper to build a solid foundation. When he’s got enough experience that he can actually benefit from what these $1000 shotguns can offer like better balance, fine tuning fitment, etc. go that route. Buts that’s only my opinion.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
If he were mine, he’d be getting a Mossberg 500. New production appears to still be good, but you can go to nearly any pawn shop and find a good quality older 20 or 12ga for around $300. In my experience, 9 times out of 10, starting on an auto or double barrel with the available rapid follow-up shots lead to poor fundamentals and wasted/poorly chosen shots. I also LOVE the old mossberg bolt actions, but they tend to be a bit heavy. It’s pretty easy to get them for $200 or less. It’s hard for me to justify the price tag on a lot of these new shotguns for someone just starting out. Start cheaper to build a solid foundation. When he’s got enough experience that he can actually benefit from what these $1000 shotguns can offer like better balance, fine tuning fitment, etc. go that route. Buts that’s only my opinion.
I agree. You can be quick as lightning with a pump but it has to be learned, and that process teaches better accuracy and patience. Like a single shot, but with that just in case option of a quick couple of follow ups, and imo better reliability than a semi auto. Plus simplicity of teardown for cleaning and less likely to get your finger smashed putting it in the wrong place at the wrong time

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
I bought one for $90 brand new with money I made on my paper route in 1977 when I was 13. I still have that gun. It is wore out and doesn't see the field much any more but the memories I made with that gun are priceless.
Mine still hunts and shoots skeet. Honestly the only fallback ive found is that with age The safety detent has worn some where if i do a quick string of shots when i go for the 3rd or 4th the safety has engaged itself. Quick $30 fix with parts from brownells, just gotta do it

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I went through this recently...

My 10 year old got an 11-87 (12 gauge )for Christmas. He’s on the hunter safety shooting team at school and he got to shoot several different guns and gauges and that’s what we went with.

He’s a stocky 100 pounder and has no issue with recoil. Some of the over and unders/, single shots and pumps had more recoil than he could manage.

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mine still hunts and shoots skeet. Honestly the only fallback ive found is that with age The safety detent has worn some where if i do a quick string of shots when i go for the 3rd or 4th the safety has engaged itself. Quick $30 fix with parts from brownells, just gotta do it
I've replaced the barrel and stock on mine and some parts in the receiver LOL Getting down to few original parts.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
My son is smashing clays on the shooting team with a youth model maverick 20ga pump from Academy sports. Good price on the gun. Its light enough for most any youth to handle well, and the price was right. Also has option for changing the choke if desired.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
If you are pretty sure he will hunt his entire life I would look at the Benelli M2 compact 20 gauge. Comes with 24 inch barrel and a shorter stock. I think it can be adjusted as he grows. You can get a Franchi Affinity the same way. Shorter stock that can be adjusted with optional 24" or 26" barrel. It can "grow" with him and everyone needs a good 20 gauge around the house. Training a new hunter that has one and we simply put one shell in at the time. Once more comfortable we will start adding shells.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
If you are pretty sure he will hunt his entire life I would look at the Benelli M2 compact 20 gauge. Comes with 24 inch barrel and a shorter stock. I think it can be adjusted as he grows. You can get a Franchi Affinity the same way. Shorter stock that can be adjusted with optional 24" or 26" barrel. It can "grow" with him and everyone needs a good 20 gauge around the house. Training a new hunter that has one and we simply put one shell in at the time. Once more comfortable we will start adding shells.
I love Benelli's but they're a bit stiff on the recoil (for a 9 year old.) I'd look at a compact gas auto myself. I'd look at a Browning Silver Micro myself. If that's more than you want to spend, I've actually hear a variety of good reviews on the Tri-Start Raptor and Viper. I'd go with one of those in 20 gauge.

outdrsmn

Six Pointer
Get the Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge semi auto. Put on the compact buttstock.

You will have a gun that serves multiple purposes and if your child gets out of hunting you can always put the adult stop back on and use the firearm. I just went through the same exact thing with my seven-year-old and just decided I'd prefer to put the money into one gun versus multiple guns that won't get used overtime.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
I've replaced the barrel and stock on mine and some parts in the receiver LOL Getting down to few original parts.
Havent replaced anything but the choke on mine and the sights. Added mossberg turkey sights. Nothing wrong with the original modified other than i had to use an easy out to remove it. Got left in there too long. Now it gets pulled and oiled monthly shot or not