Shotgun barrel length ?

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Just curious what everyone's opinion on how barrel length affects certain aspects of a shotguns ability. I recently started shooting a Franchi Affinty with a 28" barrel. Ive always been the longer is better person, but I've shot some other guns with shorter barrels (26") that feel like they swing better, I guess because of the less foward weight. So I guess my question is, what would be the sacrifice of going to a shorter barrel? Mainly i shoot doves, ducks, and occasionally buckshot for deer, and rarely shoot anything outside 30 yards even with full chokes.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I cut mine 18.5-19 and have them fitted for screw in chokes. They fit the bill perfect for me because I am all the time crawling under vines etc. They pattern great with appropriate chokes. They would not be appropriate in a duck blind with shooters on each side of you though.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Ive been told by my old gun smith that they hold pattern longer with a longer barrel than a short one with a choke. Im not an expert but if we're just talking going from 28' to 26' with the same choke i dont think there would be much of a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Ive been told by my old gun smith that they hold pattern longer with a longer barrel than a short one with a choke. Im not an expert but if we're just talking going from 28' to 26' with the same choke i dont think there would be much of a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I was always told too. For years I shot an 1100 with a 30 inch barrel but it was getting some age so it's semi retired. And the franchi shoots and patterns fine, I was just worried it wouldn't if I went to a shorter barrel, just for the sake of a better swing feel.

Jmac

Everything else being equal, a 30"barrel will hold a pattern 4inches further than a 26" barrel will.

Last edited by a moderator:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Guns are not all the same, I have a Rem SP-10 with 3 barrels; 20" rifle sight smoothbore, 26" with screw-in choke and 30" with screw-in choke.
I patterned the 26" and 30" with turkey loads and I found that the 30" barrel patterned better than the 26" barrel with all loads and chokes [thank you Lead-Sled]. Measurably better, 10%-20% better with the 30".
So my .02 is that you should shoot what shoots for you [or the only one you have] but in this case and some other experiences with shotguns longer was better.
FWIW, fixed chokes have always shot better [better, smoother patterns] for me, but having a super-full fixed choke installed gets pricey these days. I had a 10ga gun sleeved to SF back in the 1980's and that thing is still a killer [on both ends].

Last edited:

Jmac

If a 30" barrel shoots an 80% pattern at 40 yds and a 26" barrel shoots an 80% pattern at 40 yds the longer barrel will not hold that pattern any further than the shorter barrel, not because of an extra 4 inches anyways. There could be a reduction in Velocity from the shorter barrel but it would be irrelevant at normal shooting distances.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
If a 30" barrel shoots an 80% pattern at 40 yds and a 26" barrel shoots an 80% pattern at 40 yds the longer barrel will not hold that pattern any further than the shorter barrel, not because of an extra 4 inches anyways. There could be a reduction in Velocity from the shorter barrel but it would be irrelevant at normal shooting distances.

I think ya missed the joke.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
After further debate with myself, the decision was made a little easier once i seen the price on replacement barrels. Most I seen were 350 to 375 for new barrels. That's more than half of what I paid for the entire gun new.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I have shotguns with barrels ranging from 22" to 30" and each length has its advantages and disadvantages. Shorter barrels work well for quick snap shooting like one would do in tight flooded timber for woodies or upland hunting in cover. Longer barrels with more forward weight to assist with a smoother swing are more suited for pass shooting like you'd do for dove or open water duck hunting. That said any length will definitely work for both styles of hunting and I have killed many doves with short tubes and many woodies with a 30" barrel. As a compromise in a non breech opening gun a 28" barrel is a good all around barrel length for any hunting (a SxS or O/U double will typically have longer barrels to produce a similar overall length as they don't have the added receiver length) and the velocity & patterns will not be affected in any discernible manner.

Last edited: