Shot recommendations

SM270

Ten Pointer
Shooting an 870 pump going to probably go with a modified choke this year. May use the full on some places when I know the shots are going to be longer. Just wondering from guys that shoot that combo what usually patterns well in your gun. I hot cheap Federal steel last year. This year I am thinking blind side or Kent fast steel.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
What patterns well in my 870 may do terrible in yours so borrow a few shells of different kinds from your buddies and get a handful of poster board from the dollar store and pattern as many loads as you can get your hands on. Buy the ammo if you can't get a few shells from a buddy. Either way, you'll get out what you put in so make an effort to learn what your gun likes and you'll kill more ducks this year.

TeamLockedUP

^ I 2nd this takes pattern to figure out works best I found out several years ago on my beretta pintail the cheap shells patterned better than the expensive ones and my dads same gun was completely different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
X3!
You might not want to make up your mind on what constriction you are going to shoot until you do some pattern work. What you THINK will work might not be the best for your conditions with the chosen ammo.
Along those lines, Blind Side typically patterns very tight so if you choose to go that route you'll definitely want to test it with more open chokes...that said many steel loads will pattern tighter than what one might normally think so keep an open mind and shoot some patterns before any final decisions are made.

Personally I've shot Kent Fast Steel #2 for years through IC or LM (depending upon conditions) and have no desire or need to change (unless I find a few more boxes of the original Remington Hevi Shot #6 stashed in my garage like I did last year)

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
^X2. I'd start with IC. Improved Cylinder will generally pattern closer to Modified when shooting steel shot. If you are shooting a modified choke with steel, then you are probably shooting closer to full (or Improved Modified). All can be verified by patterning as others mentioned above. If 70% of your pellets are within a 30" circle at 40 yards, then you are shooting full choke, regardless of what the choke tube says. (hint: draw your circle around the center of your pattern AFTER you shoot the paper)